1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#4 Question from a new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello: On a daily basic I get a rather large amount of PM's, asking questions about shooting, making adjustments to guns, questions on trapshooting in general. I have had some of the newer shooters ask me to relay their questions with my answers on a thread, as some feel it would help the newer shooter. I will try to submit their questions and my answers if possible on a daily basis. If any of you seasoned shooters disagree with my answers, and or would like to add any comments, feel free to pitch in and give us your opinion too. This thread is intended to help the newer shooter. Steve Balistreri

Andy writes- One of my friends on my league team shoots a Winchester model 12 pump. I shoot a Remington 870 and he always says his gun is better because his grandfather told him 870's were punch press guns. What does that mean?

First of all, the Model 12 was and still is a great gun. It was made of machined parts. With high labor cost in the gun making industry, Remington was the first company to start using stampings and castings to reduce cost. Although the 870 is not made from machined parts, both guns have earned the respect from trapshooters due them. I am safe to say that those two guns have won more trap shoots than any other two guns in trapshooting history. You both have great pump guns that most shooters have owned at one time or another.

Steve Balistreri

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve.. no one could have worded it better.. Many years ago.. I had the honor of working on a 1959 Remington 870 pump.. It was old.. and tired.. and no longer locked up correctly.. I questioned the old man who brought the gun in.. Best we could figure out.. it had over 300,000 rounds thru it.. The locking recess in the barrel was worn out..and had finally made the gun insafe to shoot.. I changed the complete bolt assembly..and barrel..recut the hammer for sear engagement..and changed a few springs.. and returned the gun to this old timer.. who..best of my knowledge still shoots this gun with his sons and grandsons.. The old 870 pump was ahead of its time with the dual action bars.. and the engineering done on this gun.. made a cheaply made gun as dependable as an anvil.. Till tomorrow.. Mike

3. senior smoke

Mike:
    I once asked a question on this forum, if you were in a war zone and all you had was a shotgun to use, what gun would you use? Most choose the 870 or the model 12. Both great guns.
    Steve

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Steve: 870 hands down. Having had both, mainly because of its simplicity (to field strip & clean) & reliability. (heck I'd even take an 870 over my 31 in your war zone scenario) Ross Puls

5. senior smoke

Ross:
    I also owned 31's and love them too. Weak point on 31's were the action bar.
    Steve

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it depends the model 12 offers some a small tactical advantage over the 870 by being able to slam fire it,= and faster cycling, down side is requires more skill in maintenance, harder to acquire parts. dropped in the mud and with a clear bore I'd expect the 870 to function where the model 12 wouldn't but just guessing based on internal tolerances

7. senior smoke

Guys be careful, pointing out flaws on a model 12 is like pointing out flaws on a guy's sister. As I love both guns, I believe no gun in the history of trapshooting has a passionate fan following like the model 12.
    Steve

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

you got to be honest, sometimes there is a reason your sister didn't get any dates

shouldn't have to be careful about pointing out the short comings of a certain model, others are entitled to express their own opinions if it is experienced based, not all experiences are likely to be the same.

9. senior smoke

Twinbirds:
    I was joking about picking out the flaws on a model 12. Your comment about sisters is funny and made my day.
    Steve

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I can appreciate your loyalty to your preferred model. But I haven't shot one I didn't like oronei didn't want to own,or haven't owned , only gun I have that won't be sold in my lifetime is a winchester model 42 handed to me by my dad.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Let me respectfully point out that it is inaccurate to say that "The 870 is not made from machined parts." There was also no mention of forging with respect to the M12's receiver. It's also worthwhile to mention 1964 as the year real M12s stopped being produced.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.