1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

4 hurt in Warren County trapshooting accident

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

4 hurt in Warren County trapshooting accident (PA)

WARREN -- Four males received minor injuries Tuesday evening when a gun accidentally discharged during a trapshooting event in Warren County.

State police at Warren said the incident happened at 6:45 p.m. at the Kalbfus Club in Mead Township.

Police said a gun accidentally discharged into the ground, causing ground debris and pellets to hit the four victims. All of the victims were taken to Warren General Hospital, police said.
  2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ooops...Goober Alert!!

At the very least the subject should be arrested for Reckless Endangerment...."accidentally discharged" my arse!!

Curt
  3. Jeffnet

Jeffnet TS Member

It seems to be an accident not a criminal act, trouble with society today.
    Jeff x LEO
  4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

Curt, I beg to differ with you on that one. There is such a thing. I bought a LC Smith SxS a few weeks ago and first trip to the range I found out if you moved the barrel selector to rt barrel first the gun fired upon closing the action. It will get your attention! :) Bill
  5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

But- for all of those that say this is but an accident.

Accidents with guns dont happen like this if the gun is pointed in a safe direction. Down Range

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sorry boys...a discharge with a loaded gun is not an accident!! It may be unintended but a preventable circumstance nevertheless.

Curt
  7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

Seen it happen twice at the same club in southeastern Pa. 1st. a well known shooter walked into the club house after completing a round of trap. The club house has a gun rack along the wall a few feet above the floor, the guy before putting his gun in the rack pointed it down towards the floor and dry fired it or so he thought. No one was injured by the flying shot. 2nd. incident was several years later when a newbie was moving station to station with a loaded gun when he pulled the trigger while the muzzle was pointing down towards the concrete pad. A few ricocheting pellets entered through another persons pant leg not very far below his gonads and embedded into the flesh.
  8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You're right about accidents. It was a move of stupidity, but to have him arrested is absurd as there is no intent to cause harm to the other persons.

As one member told me not to long ago...Be careful where you throw rocks in your glass house.

Bryan
  9. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

My opinion of the difference between an accidential fire and stupidity. Close the action and gun goes off is an accidential. Any time someone pulls the trigger assuming or thinkin the gun is empty is stupidity escpecially if its not down range in a safe direction.

The issue is the article doesn't specify if someone pulled the trigger or it went off when the action was closed, so I reserve my comments about the article without more information.

John MI
  10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Active Member

Gentlemen:

Mr. Grill points out that a discharge is possible without negligence on the part of a shooter. However, others properly point out that even in such unlikely circumstances, muzzle controll will prevent injuries.

We all need to use our heads out there. Don't hesitate to point out and correct the unsafe practices of others. A polite and gentle approach is best but be as blunt as necessary to get the job done.

sissy
  11. pyrdek

pyrdek Active Member

This is a repeat entry of something that was posted earlier this morning on another thread. At that time the article was featured on the home page of the newspaper's web edition. As of a few minutes ago, it is no longer listed on the home page.or on the other pages concerning local news. The direct link however does still reference the story.

In the past this newspaper has taken a number of stands regarding guns. They are almost universally on the anti-gun side of the argument. They have desired editorially "one gun a month", " micro-engraving", handgun registration, and a number of other such anti-gun positions. My feeling is that they saw another chance to slam gun owners by showing "how reckless" some gun owners are (not knowing the exact circumstances of this incident, it may or may not be truly recklessness) but when the facts came out, the article was pulled from general viewing because it was not "bloody enough" to serve their purposes.

I do know that earlier I checked the Warren news sources and near-by Jamestown, NY sources and neither even had a mention of this incident.
  12. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Everyone missed my ealier point- if the gun is always pointed down range- no harm no foul

It is no accident that the gun is not pointed down range- you can control that part of the equation

Now to piggyback on sissys post above. If you see an unsafe act, do whatever it takes to correct that and at whatever level of firmness is required. Start soft but dont give up.

I have posted this before but once I was at a range and a guy who was doing a horrible job of correcting his son on the trap line, for turning with the muzzle of the gun was later gathered in a group back behind the line

That same son had the butt of the shotgun on the ground and his head resting on the muzzle end of an over and under.

I walked over to the group and without a lot of protocol told the guy to have his son remove the gun from that position and point it down range and open immediately or something could happen that none of us would ever forget.

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Regardless of what may be said to defend or demean the person responsible, the primary safety of any firearm is MUZZLE DIRECTION.

Every firearm in the above photo is fully loaded. Every firearm is pointed in a safe direction.

Over five days, about 160 cops and trainers (including yours truly) shot a total of almost 200,000 rounds of high performance rifle, shotshell, and center fire handgun ammo at this Advanced Law Enforcement Training Camp. Because of good training and proper maintenance, there was NOT ONE AD OR ND. Any questions?
  14. Leo

Leo Active Member

Muzzle direction is everything. There is no such thing as a safe machine. Parts break, mechanisms hang up. That is we do not load until our turn. I cannot remember a year since I have been shooting that there has not been at least one untimely discharge. Usually in a hung up semi auto or malfunctioning release triggers. But even the simplest single barrel gun can malfunction. Have you ever been to a club where the back of the trap house had not been peppered with shot?
  15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Intent?

Let's see if I have this right....a drunk leaves a bar under the influence, drives onto a public road with no "intent" to harm or kill someone, however, this person causes an a motor vehicle accident where a person is killed......so as there was no "intent", the drunk should not be prosecuted...right?

Curt
  16. mrd

mrd Member

Muzzle direction is critical. Lsst summer I had a shooter on the next station to me shoot straight in the ground next to his leg and a couple feet from mine. Fortunately the shot hit the grass and dirt and not the concrete. He apologized and said he was getting used to a new release trigger. I did not finish the round.
  17. pyrdek

pyrdek Active Member

Maybe the detail is lacking in the picture of the armed and fully loaded group but I seem to see a number of barrels pointed down and very near either the owner's or his neighbor's feet. I also see what appears to be at least a few hands on the trigger guard and one in particular seems to have a finger inside the trigger guard. If either or both of those things are indeed accurate assessments, then I would NOT call that safe handling.
  18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

No fingers inside the trigger guards, and fingers are indexed on the safeties along the receiver.

Properly serviced guns and trained instructors.

This photo does not have the best resolution.
  19. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

That must be a pretty small town newspaper. A trapshooting accident at the club wouldn't even come close to making the news or paper around here. People die all the time of accidents and it doesn't make the news. Interesting.
  20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Active Member

Well when my gun did this the muzzle was pointed down range. I loaded the gun back up and tried it again just to make sure there was no mistake with trigger ect. Same results. Gun went in car and off to smith. It was a new purchase of a used gun first time out with it. I was glad I was using it and not somone else!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.