1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4-H SHOOTING SPORTS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fish and teach, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

anything we get in a grant, we give the kids free to use during practice. I haven't really looked at the fine print well enough to speak on legality thought. Hopefully someone will have some legal knowledge here.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Both kids and parents no there is no free lunch. That price is about one half the going rate. 60 flats of shooting can turn into 120 flats if there is some nominal charge. Are they paying for targets?

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Lots of things to consider here IMO. How many kids you have shooting in the club, How many targets they shoot a year, How much are you paying for a round to shoot.

Our club recieved some grant money that was used to pay for the machines. To me that doesnt mean they get to shoot on those particular machines free of charge. Anyways take all in to consideration when you look at what the club management is doing. I would be looking at the whole picture and see what helped the whole club, then make a determination on how the funds are spent and how the revenue for the club is collected and how much is collected. It takes so much to shoot a round no matter how you slice it. Like the above post said... no free rides.
    But we do try to make it as cheap as possible for the kids to shoot. It is an expensive sport no doubt. I have to reload to afford my daughter to shoot in practice. Our range has excellent trap and skeet houses along with great machines that do not fail hardly at all. They are pretty new and we do lots of up keep. Where do you want to spend your money so these kids may shoot at a reasonable price.

WesleyB

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I was involved in 4-H Shooting Sports for 15 years. When we received donations, we tried to figure out how to get the most benefit to the most kids. We used cash donations to reduce the price per round or the price of a box of shells. It sounds like your group is trying to do something similar and that seems fair to me if all the $3.00 fees go back into keeping the program going. I happen to think that 4-H Shooting Sports is a great program and I would much rather see the donations stretched out because they tend to be few and far between. If 60 flats would get this team through the year, by charging $3.00 they might be able to get through two years by recycling the $3.00 back through the program. We always gave our kids the option to bring their own.

I also think that teaching that things do cost money is another valuable lesson in 4-h or any teaching situation. I think 4-H produces great kids that lack an entitlement mentality.

Bob

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I agree if the shells were granted but with no stipulation. With the $3 charge on the granted shells it will stretch it!!! Now our club last year recieved a donation from Friends of NRA and can only apply for it every other year. We still charged $2 for shells and Lawry donated 1 pallet of targets for school league.

Now that the grants are totally exausted they will be paying club cost for shells and targets $5 for shells and $2 for targets.

Jerry

6. SniperM1A

SniperM1A TS Member

Good discussion, looking at it from a Coaches perspective, I can see how this would help extend the program, if the grant is offered only every other year, the options are limited for next years crop of shooters. I would be curious to find out what the NRA stipulations are though.

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I'm not a 4H leader or sponsor but my daughter is in our local club. They just charge every kid a set fee for whichever discipline they are involved in be it pistol. .22 rifle or trap. The trap fee is $40 for the season no matter how much she shoots. That includes targets and ammo. I know they also get grants and I think they get some help from Federal ammunition. We all know the price of stuff so any little bit helps stretch it out. Thankfully our local police dept. donates the use of their range so we don't need to pay extra range fees.

Steve

8. gdc

gdc TS Member

I coach/manage a 4 H shooting club. We received 4o flats of shells through a Friends of NRA grant. To stretch the savings out our managers decided to allow each shooter to buy 1 flat/month for $25. As long as they turn in at least 10 scores/month. The money raised will be used to order more shells from Federal ($50/flat). With 20-25 kids shooting we should be able to provide each shooter 1 flat/ mo. through the summer. We also award a box of shells for a new personal best score, or straight, or for "acts of safety, sportsmanship, or service above what is normally expected of them." We also will provide shells for a visitor who wants to learn about trap shooting. This is our first year to receive a grant, so we'll see how it works. It wasn't easy deciding how to distribute them in a fair way that encouraged the kids to continue shooting.

Greg

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

here is my question-- wud the 4H kids or parents shoot at any level, if it wasnt "free"?-- our 4h clubs here locally didnt even want to pay for rocks @1/2 px when i offered to them at my trapclub. -----there is something about $45,000 duramax 4x4 pickups(tax deductable) showing up to meeting and someone bringing up "free" or donations!!!---ps: my ag bussiness spends about $4000 a year supporting 4H!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.