1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4 college's compete

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al391, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al391

al391 TS Member

4 college

Four central and north Florida schools competed for bragging rights last Sat.
    The schools were Stetson, Embry Riddle, University of N Florida and Jacksonville University. What a fantastic time we all had. 4 shooters were in a shoot off for the first time in their lifes. It was great.
    I wish to thank Coach David Dobson and Tom Wolf for there help in arranging this first time ever event. Judging by the chatter, they can't wait for a rematch. A great bunch of young men and women. See pictures at our website.Flaglergunclub.com Jack

2. al391

al391 TS Member

3. gcolt

gcolt TS Member

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Love hearing about the collegiate shooting events.

Congrats!

5. al391

al391 TS Member

timb99, thanks for your comment. The electricity in the air during the shoot-off was amasing. The young people were a pleasure, they liked our facility and we are planning a SE college match. I think we are shooting for some time in March. Anyone interested? keep an eye on our web-site. Jack

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jack, It's certainly got to be better for them shooting in your weather than up here now. College students have a hard time understanding what shooting in cold weather consists of. Perhaps NSSF will fly a bunch of us down to shoot at your club. :) High 30's, wind, and perhaps some flurries this week-end. Can't complain, we've had a great year weather wise, this stuff is long over due. Frost has just gone into the ground. Good luck with your teams. Bob

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Great pics, btw. Keep doing this each year, and the size will grow. I know for a fact!

We host a collegiate shoot at my home club in Lenexa, KS in early March. We call it the shootout at the Crossroads.

Last March we had 168 kids.

8. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Jack,
    Do those colleges actually recognize the shooting team as part of the school, or were they just kids that go to the schools and were competing. My daughter is enrolled in Jacksonville University and loves to shoot trap. Keep up the GREAT work. And as a PS do you by any chance have any contact info on the person she could get in touch with to get involved?

9. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Timb99,

I agree,I like to read and hear about collegiate shooting.Here in New England it's pretty sparse now compared to when my daughter went to Uconn!!!.I dont think Uconn even fields a team any more.

Sandy Holehouse.

10. al391

al391 TS Member

Sir, The contact at JU is David Dobson, E-mail:DDobsonpvb@aol.com He has put together a fantastic group of shooters. The program is recognised by the University and there is grant money available from NSSF for college's when applied for properly, I believe Dave helped Stetson with the application. I think this program could develop into something big. I believe it is a atheletic credit course. Contact him for more details. Flagler has associated itself with Stetson and Embry Riddle. We are in the process of trying to bring in Daytona College. Jack

11. Bob Hawkes

Sandy, You need to get out and get involved. We have 4 or 5 schools shooting at Minute Man. The program only started last year through the CSSI program initiated by the NSSF in your back yard. I think the program has great potential for our shotgunning sports. Best wishes, Bob

12. al391

al391 TS Member

Did you look at the photo's.........that is a group of happy kids.

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bob Hawkes, ,

Hey,your right.Havn't been around for a while in the school shooting scene.Thats great to hear.Im gonna have to get around and see whats going on down my way.Thanx.

Sandy Holehouse.

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bob Hawkes ,

You have a personal message.

Sandy Holehouse.

15. al391

al391 TS Member

If this post get's things going on the college scene,then, Mr. Dobson and Tom Wolf from Jax. and Flagler respectively have done our sport a service.

16. Bob Hawkes

al391, it's the NSSF that deserves the credit for putting out grant money available to the colleges. From there you need people on the local level to promote it, and yes, they deserve a lot of credit for being willing to donate their time and efforts. I believe the benefits of the college shooting programs bears great benefit us. To steal Mike's term, All good, Bob :)

17. al391

al391 TS Member

Bob, I think the NSSF is a fantastic organization for starting this program. I am most familiar with SCTP (as a coach), now it seems everyone is going to AIM. How is NSSF getting the word out to the schools? We were introduced to the college program by Stetson, they came to us. Can you post a web site address and a contact that might lead other schools to start a program. Many thanks for your coments, Jack

18. al391

al391 TS Member

Joe, thanks for providing a link on your site. Looking forward to seeing you this winter (OH.... that would be now) Your site is the best. Jack

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jay and George provided the information. I just put it up.

Junior & Collegiate Shooting News

http://www.losttarget.com/#JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.