1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4 barrel gun sets..question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

Aug 27, 2009
    oswego, new york
    I have been pondering the idea of maybee getting a 4 barrell set, not tubes.

the reason is as follows...I have been saving for a 28 gauge shotgun, but i would also like a .410 also. And as luck would have it my 12 gauge gun I use for skeet is on it's last leg. It's a ruger that I have been using for a few years. It's a field gun gun from the early 90's i have gotten my money's worth out of it.

The reason I thought of maybee the idea of getting a 4 barrell set would be that it would be less expensive than buying a xs skeet in 12, 28 and .410.
    I know these sets arn't cheap and I just don't want to get into buying and collecting anymore guns Than I have to.

I have a 20 gauge xs skeet and I would probley keep it just as a spare and it's just to beautiful to part with. The 12 gauge in the 4 b.s I could use for trap, skeet and 5 stand. The whole idea ofthe 4 barrell set just makes sense to me.

Has anyone on this site every owned or used or have one of these sets, that could tell me what they think of these, good or bad.

I know there probley heavy to lug around, but I only shoot at my local club 2 maybe 3 days a week in the decent weather andmaybe 1-2 days a week in the winter.

I just thought of something a good 4 barrell set is much cheaper than a motorcycle or a boat that I could only use part of the year.

any help would be great.
  2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Dolphin62, I too thought they way you are thinking right now. (lst) Most of 4 barrel sets you can buy at a FAIR Price were all made 20-30 years ago, and they all have fixed chokes in them. (2nd) All these guns will have 26-28 inch barrels on them as well. It is very hard to find a set in 3 barrel or 4 barrel with the 30 inch barrels I wanted and with chokes in them. You can try gunbroker or whatever and see what they have. You will find new or so new that they sell for almost new prices. I ended up haveing my gun tubed for this reason. I do have a older friend that has a newer 525 browning in a 3 barrel set w/30 inch barrels and soft touch recoil system he was trying to sell? He was wanting to much for it for me. I can ask and see what he wants now, if you are interested? PM me or ask here. Break-em all. Jeff PS I also agree with Jeff below as a tubed gun will stay swinging once you get it started, and will smooth out your swing nicely too.
  3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I had a 12 gauge O/U and then I added a match weight 20/28/410 3 barrel set to it, so i had 4 matched guns.

Lugging around two cases was a pain - though the 3 barrel set was beautiful - so I scrapped it all and bought a P gun and tubed it.

FWIW, I'd do it again...I shoot a tube set better, its slightly heavier and easier to keep swinging.

Feel free to pm me, too.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    I have had a four barrel Citori forever.

the one drawback is that it weighs less than a 12 guage. Enough that a registered skeet weekend would show some fatigue due to recoil when using the 12 for prelim, doubles, and gun event.

Started using a gas gun in 12 for that reason.

I believe they downweighted the receiver a little to avoid having to make extra heavy small guage barrels.

It's about a 3/4 lb divverence in my case.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Redding, California
    The nicest 4 barrel set I ever shot was a Winchester Diamond Grade 4 barrel set. Each barrel weighed exactly the same. They were all 30" barrels, by the way.... Wish I would have bought it when I had the chance..... Dan Thome (Trap2)
  6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Browning had special run a year back or so and you may find a set. Cost a few bucks.

I have an older Browning 4 barrel set (28"). Had thin wall chokes installed in the 12 gauge barrel and installed a recoil reducer.

My wife likes to shoot it as she found a tube set a little on the heavy side.

For what you would spend, I would suggest you buy a decent 12 gauge and have it tubed. Another option is a used tubed gun. I see them at skeet shoots all the time.
  7. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure you can find a XS Skeet in each gauge for $1500/each. You'd have the 12/28/410 for less than you would pay for a 4 barrel set. Matched with your current 20, you'd have all 4 for $4500 total. Look around, you'll find them.
  8. esetter

esetter Active Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I have a four barrel Grade VI Citori with the case in 98% condition that I will be selling soon. It has 28" barrels and fixed skeet chokes in all barrels. This is one beautiful gun. The price will be $5500. Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

I have several guns with tube sets, and two guns with the barrel sets, and I like the barrel sets better. The tube sets can get very heavy especially in longer barrels. Just my opinion, and I shoot both.
  9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I shot registered competitive skeet for about 8 years and over time I realized that 4-barrel set shooters were recreational shooters masquerading as serious shooters. Four barrel sets are functional and sometimes beautiful, anachronisims. A decent 12 gage with tubes is the best way to go - not to mention, cost effective. If it's a lightweight and whippy gun you are after, have the 12 gage barrel bored out and turned in to a carrier barrel, and with the tubes installed, it will be VERY light ( and whippy, and uncontrollable,etc.) A tubed gun is not elegant, but for it's intended purpose - a target killing machine. Alternatively you can have Briley or Kolar build you shorter tubes than the full barrel length. Look around - there's lots of tubed guns for sale. As for me - I shoot a 30" tapered flat rib with Briley ultralight tubes and a #6 Trap Adjustable comb. I have two different Trap barrels that fit on the same rcvr. Granted - I have always shot from the tip of the barrel so my comb is jacked up enough that no comb adjustments are made when switching from Skeet to Trap:^)

Just my .02cts worth.
  10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Jul 15, 2006
    The idea that a 4 barrel set will be light and whippy is BS. The tubed sets are heavier because the tubes add weight. If one has a light gun that they perceive to be whippy then they can simply add weight. Folks have been doing that to all kinds of guns for generations.

If you want a 4 barrel set then get one. If it doesn't work for you then sell it. There is no better scenario then one shooting the same gun in all their clay target sports. That way you will be shooting the same weight and balance at all times no matter what gauge you use.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used 4 barrel shotgun sets