1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4.3 liter with blown head gasket

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Cooper, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

I know, way off topic, but I have driven this car to trap shoots so there is a connection.

My son's 1998 Jimmy is pushing a lot of water/antifreeze into the crankcase and I suspect a blown head gasket. Can I manage to pull the heads with the engine still in the vehicle or do I need to pull the motor first?

Not sure if it's worth fixing (169,000 miles and rusty) but it would be nice to show my 16 year old son what actually happened.

Don

2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

OK,
    Here is a great thing to do. This really works and it worked great on my 1998 grand am with a blown head gasket. Go to the auto store and buy 4 tubes of the powdered aluminum radiator repair. Pour the powdered alumimum into the radiator and run with the heater on for about 20 minutes. This should seal up the area. I had coolant in my oil and after I did this I could get around 3000 miles before I saw any evidence of water in my engine oil. When I did it I had 80,000 miles on a quad 4 grandam. I sold the car with over 190K on it and it never missed a beat. It cost me around $9. My buddy who is a ace mechanic told me to do it and it really worked well. Would I do it on a new car well no, but on a old car that isn't worth more than the repair of the head gasket. Take a chance. Make sure you run the heater while cycling it through. Here's the stuff I am talking about:

[​IMG]

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Oh yeah, change the oil afterwards too.

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

May not be a head gasket. The 4.3 has a weakness in the manifold gasket which will also put antifreeze in the oil. Check that first before removing the head.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, you can R&I the cylinder head in the chassis but because the S/T trucks were designed for a 60-degree V6 and the 90-degree 4.3L V6 was shoehorned in, it won't be the easiest one you ever did. I agree that the intake manifold is a more likely suspect. Unless the engine was severely overheated before the leak started, head gaskets on 4.3s seldom fail.

Ed

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I hate to be a naysayer,but once that Ethyleneglycol or whatever is pumped around thru that engine it raises havoc with all the bearings etc.Dont know how long this condition has persisted,but i wouldn't get your hopes to high!!!
    Sandy.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Intake gasket is easy, headgaskets not so easy but doable. Ditto on the damage already done. Bearings don't like antifreeze

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Would bet my lunch it just popped the intake gaskets...4.3's are just like their daddy 5.7 350ci ..indestructable

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Being this time of year I would also make sure that it hasn't froze and cracked the block or a head, most likely the antifreeze is to lo to check. I am a die hard GM fan but 4.3 are notorious for taking the bearings out when you get antifreeze in the oil.

lee

10. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah, thats what the dealer told me and i bought that grandam for $600. It ran for 4 years including two cross country trips. In the end I sold it for $750. with almost 100000 more miles than I had on it when I bought it.

11. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Being a ex Chevrolet tech i have seen the damage done with antifreeze mixted with the motor oil,i dont give a HOOT what block it is----HISTORY, BIG %.Lee's on the right path Birddog1964 !!!!!!!!!!

SANDY.

12. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I used the bottle called BLUE DEVIL on a SHO taurus with a bad head gasket and overheating problem it was expensive about 70.00 but worked you have to the let engine idle for a hour i placed the garden hose over the radiator to keep it cool during that time then flush the radiator and change the oil afterwards. That car had 150k on it at that time i sold it and the mileage was 220K and still ran beautiful. And use the green antifreeze afterwards. Kirk

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the intake and keep your fingers crossed on the bearings, cam, lifters, etc. Might get lucky and might not.

14. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

The car did overheat on him, the tranny has been slipping and he was driving home from snow boarding and was having trouble making it up hills so was keeping it floored (his story) finally broke down about a mile from home so I went and towed it home. It did start the next day but just barely runs.

I did try and put stop leak pellets in the radiator but the leak is so bad I put 4 gallons of water into the radiator and never got the water level up, it all was going right into the crank casae. I did drain all the mud from the engine so I'm not worried about that freezing up, I would think any water in the cylinders would leak past the rings. Really not worth trying to save, I just want my son to help take it apart and see how things work.

Thanks for all the help,
    Don

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You can R&R the cylinder haeds with out pulling the engine. If you haven't done one before or it's been some time take lots of pictures of the connections it will make re assembly easier. I'd be prepared to do two oil changes after staring it up. Could be a great learning experience for your 16 year old.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you can get at the spark plugs you should run a compresson test to see if it's a head gasket.

HM

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Snap on Man sells a kit to detect combustion gas in the water.. If you have a blown head gasket.. This is the test I'd do.. Quick and easy..

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You never mentioned if water or white smoke is coming out the exhaust pipe. If it was leaking into a cylinder at the rate your losing coolant it will eventually hydrolock. Sounds like you have a cracked block.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Under those conditions, it's probably best to swap out the engine and rebuild or replace the transmission as well, if you intend to keep the vehicle. You could look for a deal on a used pair. He could then tear down the engine and trans to do the forensics.

20. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Don,

Since the Jimmy is a 98,is it hardly worth dumping a bunch of money into it.I dont doubt that the motor is most likely spent ,now the way you mentioned the tranny was slipping also----Get the $$$$$$$ out.You can get it apart then assess the situation and make a judgment.It doesn't sound to good to me.
    good luck, Sandy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.