1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

4.09 diesel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HOT-HAMMER, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

For most of my life (49 years) diesel was always cheaper than gas (about 10 to 15%) In the last 8 years it has got more expensive (20 to 25%)than gas. Thats about a 40% swing. Does anyone knows what gives?? I have always been told diesel was easier to refine, this price increase also started before to war. Most of all our goods is transported at some time by diesel powered trucks and tractors. That 40% is being past to the comsumer so it is hurting everyone, not just diesel truck owners....Rick PS demand was down in the US last mounth but price still went up.

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i am in the trucking business. if the greedy oil people & futures traders don,t wake up we are all going to be out of business sooner than you think. in 97 fuel was about a buck a gallon in 2008 near 4 bucks a gallon that is a 3 to 400% increase in price.that affects everything .the world economy hasn,t grown that much in the last 10 years. after 2 national disasters "hurricanes katrina & rita" president bush let the oil companies rape the american public any other president would not have let that happen. but perhaps it was because pres bush is in the oil business. the futures traders wouldn,t have much to trade if george h w bush hadn,t deregulated the oil industry when he was vice president.. seems to all be connected. dwain

3. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

I'm in the trucking/excavating business. It is about to put me out of business and I'm not good enough to make a living at trap, like some of you do, so I'm #*!%...Rick

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

OH PLEASE, Dwain! The Vice-President of the United States "deregulated the oil industry"? "President Bush let the oil companies rape the American public?" You must be a Democrat, nobody else in the world is that Illogical.

Buz

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

Tree Huggers, and the EPA, there is your culprit. I saw a show on tv not all that long ago. They were interviewing an oil company rep. He said, " Once they give us the OK to drillhere and build more refineries, we can drop the price of fuel roughly 50% within a year, and then even more later". He said having so many formulations for seasonal fuels hinders also, if they would stick with one stipulated blend, it would make it less also.

6. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Everyone is about to sink. Except the rich. They are holing onto there $ waiting for the storm to subside. The working stiff is getting stiffed!!!!!!

7. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

My 2C: First of all, diesel is taxed at a higher rate than gasoline. Secondly, our domestic refineries are not configured to manufacture as much diesel per barrel as are the refineries in Europe. Thirdly, I have heard that we have less means to store diesel fuel in the U.S. So we are in a bad way re. diesel. I certainly am not defending this, and, being retired, still find that travel via trailer and Duramax Diesel is cheaper than travel via 3/4 gas powered truck and trailer. However....I wonder whether I can continue to afford travel with personal RV set up.

Last year wife and I visited Canada and found diesel at a dollar a liter; the writing was on the wall. Also purchased one tank of diesel made from soy at a Safeway in Washington State. Unfortunately, there is no magic solution. Well, there is, long term, less demand via fewer people, i.e., a declining birth rate which is hardly a PC idea.

I'm frustrated enough to buy a 55 gallon barrel or two and have diesel delivered for my "tractor"...I already have the hand pump. Just kidding feds!!!

There is a good article about diesel fuel issues in the latest Car and Driver Magazine. That article did illustrate something that really surprised me; the U.S. buys gasoline from Europe. In Europe, diesel cars are so popular that refining leaves a surplus of gasoline that is sold to other countries.

8. vector1

vector1 TS Member

it's a world economy boys. oil companies can sell their stuff overseas for lot more than they can get here. gasoline is cheaper cause none of the other countries use it like the u.s. does.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have read studies, years ago, that concluded that Diesel should be priced higher than gasoline because Diesel has a higher BTU value per unit volume. Diesel is also very close in formulation to home heating oil and jet fuel which increases demand for the product.

I do not claim to be an expert but, IMO; there is an abundance of oil in the world, both in proven reserves and in new oil yet to be discovered. I believe that there is a giant "shell game" being played by Iran, Venezuela, and other militant nations to increase the price of oil to help their faltering economies. A little “saber rattling” and a terrorist incident and oil just goes higher and higher.

I do not pretend to understand the intricacies of global energy trading. However, looking at the process as a whole, I see many individuals and firms making billions of dollars as who do not find, transport, refine, distribute or market the product. Traders have their value in fragmented markets but, when we are operating at such a massive scale, I think that it is time for a new approach.

Maybe the giant oil companies should be allowed to enter the entire process from exploration to retailing and then be regulated like public utilities with price levels and profits subject to a public service commission.

The current mortgage mess took years to evolve and erupt into a real stinking mess. It looks to me that the oil business is not far behind.

In 1973, Israel was surprise attacked by Egypt, Syria and other Arab states. The Arabs made significant initial gains but Israel quickly recovered. Due to its excellent air force and strategy, the Arab air forces were quickly defeated and Israeli armor and infantry pushed the Egyptians back o the Suez Canal, took the Golan Heights and captured large territories on the West Bank. The Arabs were soundly defeated and humiliated.

The Arab response was to place an oil embargo on the West which resulted in oil shortages and an increase in the price of oil from around $3 a barrel to near $40 per barrel. Henry Kissinger, Nixon’s National Security Advisor, was dispatched to talk to the various nations and he engaged in so called “shuttle diplomacy” with only mixed results.

There was a cartoon at the time that concluded that “Kissinger might get oil but 50,000 marines would get oil.” Iran, IMO, is the chief terrorist nation and it is terror that is causing us to be in Iraq and for the price of oil to be so high.

Maybe we need to revisit the advice of that cartoon.

Ed Ward

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

well alfermann check into the history.when bush was vice pres. & reagan was pres.they deregulated the transportation industry the airline industry & the oil industry. it don,t make an ounce of difference whether i am a rep.a dem .or independent the price of diesel is going to put most in the trucking industry out of business the rest of the america will suffer then also. you must be fortunate enough that gas & diesel pruces do not affect you.i am happy for you. but most in this country are not that fortunate. dwain

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Dwain; You might look at the states also. They don't want the prices to go down as the taxes are based on the selling price. A big part of the states budget and a money maker.

Don

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

We need to start producing oil here at home and building refineries here at home....There are allot plenty of old military bases we could build a few on....We could have all the oil in the world but if we don't have the abillity to refine it we will never see a difference at the pump....

50 years ago the U.S. was one of the top producers of Oil in the world if not the top and look at where we are at today....

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If this puts the independent truckers out of business, we're hurtin big time! The costs of everything will skyrocket even higher. I really don't look for much relief anytime soon either, irregardless of which politician is elected. Hap

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Sweet crude, the cost of oil ( at least thats what BP and Exxon will tell you)

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i was told a little while ago that diesel is 4.23 a gallon in calif i can assure all of you that the majority of the trucking industry is not going to survive much more. very few have extra money for repairs etc etc. i sincerely hope for the good of us all that someone can do something about these ridiculous prices. big don is probably right about the states not wanting the price to go down. dwain

16. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

Looks like it's time to buy a programmer and run economy mode. My Ram 3500 is getting about 18 mpg [hand calculated] but a friend's getting 26+ with his programmer in the same truck.

Seems like "everyone in charge" is just waiting to see how much the American consumer can take. The question is, how much can we take?

17. primed

primed Well-Known Member

To the business owners above. Around here most of the trucking companies add fuel surcharges and pass the increased costs on down the line. Some of you guys might check into that. The demand for trucking is growing daily. If you pass on the added costs and the demand is growing for your services, why are you about to go under? You like to make a profit and so does the corner store and the Wal-mart and the truck stop and the farmer and the plumber and on and on and on. But you sure seem to hate it when the oil companies make 7% ROI. Everybody feels they're a victim and nobody is the victimizer. Why do you so hate the free enterprise system? It IS the American way. Would you rather live in Venezuela under Chavez? They had $0.12 gas there last I heard. If that's what you want, that's where to get it. See ya later.

To the retirees, I feel your pain. Let's drill Anwar!

To jwells. They did get inflation in check by removing fuel and food costs from the index. That helps you and I. Right!!

Regards

Bob

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"as i said increase supply or lower demand."

There's more than enough supply; you're just trying to buy it with dollars that are worth only 2/3 of what they were worth a year ago.

Morgan

19. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

to primed.. you seem to have all the answers.i tell you what. i can have you in business in less than a hour you can pay the expenses COLLECT YOUR FUEL SURCHARGE pay insurance upkeep road use tax drivers workmans comp. taxes repairs etc etc. you can pay the property tax in kansas kentucky arkansas every truck that goes thru those states pay to use the roads plus the tax at the pump & the road use tax. 4 bucks plus for diesel yes sir .i can help you make the big bucks faster than you ever have. just sign on the dotted line. then in a few weeks you can jump back on here & tell everyone how smart you are & how the independent truckers are so dumb. you have all the answers so just tell me how to get ahold of you & by 5 this evening you can have someone hired & on your way to making the big bucks.. yes sir you can enjoy the free enterprise system . please leave contact info.. regards dwain

20. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

to primed i forgot to mention in case you run short on cash because you have such an abundance in income you will probably not find it difficult to borrow capitol to tide you over once in awhile.i can assure everyt bank in the world will jump at the opportunity to loan you cash in a upstart trucking business. don,t forget that the great big fuel surcharge will help with the house car payments property taxes house upkeep dr bills for the kids blue cross blue shield for the big dr. bills gas for the car groceries elec bills homeowners insurance etc etc.. regards dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.