1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3S Trap Shooting And MS Vista O/S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GeoCook, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

When the new MicroSoft Vista O/S came out I found that my programs would no longer work. At that point I was thinking about a re-write but doing that would mean actually starting over and I didn't want to go there. I have found that when MicroSoft released Vista they knew there were going to be problems with some older windows systems running under Vista. They in fact put in a utility program called "Program Compability Wizard". When you install any of the 3S systems you will need to run this wizard to get the system running. This will include finding the WindowsTrap.exe program in the ThreeSTrap folder and telling Vista to run under Windows XP (Service Pack 2) emulation and tell Vista to run this program as the administrator. This will then tag ALL of the programs in the ThreeSTrap folder for XP. You will then need to do the same thing with the BDE Admin program. This is found in the Program folder, common files and the Borland Shared folder, pick the bdeadmin.exe, run as administrator and Vista will tag this as XP. I have done it here and it works.

Please e-mail me if you have any questions.

George R Cook
    Shooting Sports Software

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Steve did you read this ???

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Gawd, I'm glad we still have 98!

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

5. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

Windows 98 "WAS" good, ME was a bust but after Windows 2000 then XP were good operating systems, as far as MicroSoft is concerned. The problem with Vista is that it is intended to be used in the new .NET world of web design which is counter to the Client / Servers systems of the past. If you are working in the .NET world then Vista is Great but if you have numerous systems out there based on the Client / Server any upgrade to Vista is going to be VERY painful. I think they knew this and put in the Program Compatibility Wizard. I would truly like to know what this program does so I could get around it but at least it is provided.

My take on things is that if you can function without Vista then by all means do so but if you have to upgrade to Vista be ready for some hair pulling, temper tantrums and alot of swearing as it's going to take some time to get all your older programs working. That's my take on all of this.

George Cook

Shooting Sports Software

6. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

7. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.