1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

3S and Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GeoCook, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

At this point the current Versions of any 3S product WILL NOT WORK when running Windows Vista. I do not fully understand why at this point but we are working on the problem here. I hope to have something to report in the next few days. In the meantime DO NOT attempt to run Windows Vista and the 3S Trap Shooting program.

George Cook
    Shooting Sports Software

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up George....Dan Thome (Eel River Trap Club)

3. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

This is the 1st time since starting this with Windows that I have had any issues with a different version. Vista for some reason cannot find the data even though the settings are all correct. I will get a workaround or a fix as soon as possible.

George Cook

4. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

So far here is what I have found:

1 - Windows VISTA totally screws up the BDE settings. The file named IDAPI.CFG that is created by the BDE to direct the system to the data is not correct. I can take this file from a XP Machine and overwrite the file in Vista and it will connect but the next time you have to run the BDE from Vista it is hosed again.

2 - Windows VISTA no longer supports the .hlp files that make up the online help system. Now why the hell they would do that is beyond me but that is what they have done.

Short answer to all of this is that I have one hell of alot of work in front of me to get the 3S systems to run under previous Windows versions and the new Vista. I will keep you posted here and on my web site.

George Cook

Shooting Sports Software

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

LOVE those MAC commercials about VISTA - hit the airways the day VISTA came out. "Cancel or Allow".....and the one with the surgical gown....Funny.

Every 10 years or so, Brother Bill has to come out with something totally new that nothiing 'old' will work with it. Now it's the VISTA plague. Had Windows about '85 ----- Windows 95 in '95 ----- Now VISTA - sucks so bad they missed their 10 year cycle by 2 years. Guess the XP really meant 'experiment' - needed something to get the geeks to spend their money on when their stock price was in the crapper............

Still can't fugure out why they went away from Windows 2000 --- the most stable Windows I've seen.....

6. oletymer

oletymer Member

No problems with Vista. Some old programs have had problems but none of mine. Just think about the millions of lines of code to write a OS. Then try to make it work with all the hardware and programs out there. Macs and Unix don't work with much. I agree if you are not pretty sharp with computers you may want to wait a while.

7. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

I do believe that .chm help files will work but at this point I have not had the time to look into this. My REAL job entails writing very intense code for the Automated Material Hanling industry and all of our older systems that are client / server use Borland as the developemtn system which of course uses the BDE and massive amounts of help files.

We are scrambling here in an attempt to figure a way to retain the BDE connections to the database. If the link is static we can create the BDE config file on a XP machine and then overwrite the config file on the VISTA machine and connect but the 1st time the user runs the BDE from within VISTA the cofig file is so hosed that you cannot connect. And I'm not sure that the Borland development system can be configured to accept the link to a non .hlp file.

What a F****** mess this is. In all other Windows upgrades the only issues were typically the various drivers for the video, audio, etc. This VISTA appears to be one where I get to start over and I don't look forward to that.

George Cook

Shooting Sports Software

8. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

Still looking for the magic bullet that will allow me to use the same system on both operating systems but it is not looking good. I did find a way around the BDE problem but it is a pain in the butt and if your users are not fairly sharp the next time they mess with the BDE it will screw the pooch.

You can download the Win32Help.exe file from with Microsoft web site that will then allow you to use the existing .hlp files but MicroSoft prohibits you from including it in any 3rd party application that you send out.

What a pain in the butt.

George

9. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I bet Bill is loosing alot of sleep over this too LOL Jon

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

They are already working on service pack 1 for Longhorn/Vista. It took so long to get to the public, just for us to all be beta testers again.
    Wouldn't touch it until at least service pack 1 comes out.

JMHO...Jerbear

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

A couple/three total aholes wrote the User Account codes and proceedures and made sure not to communicate so the UI would be inconsistent (especially for Administrators). Bill, asking me twice, telling me I need permission to continue and requiring up to four mouse click to delete a file as Administrator is just plain dumb. I'M the ADMINISTRATOR, you DOLT.

Other than that, Vista is fine. There are exactly three programs I know of that will not run on Vista no matter what. Two I expected (AutoCad & Wirecad) the third was a surprise- Nero. Some will run under XP emulation, and some require that you provide an XP emulated environment before you install. BTW, iTunes runs just fine on Vista.

Virtual PC 2007 is free and is an easy way to run your legacy programs on Vista. Geez, it even runs AutoCad. If it can run that it can run anything.

Don't like Virtual PC. OK, download VMware. Convert your existing XP computer to a virtual computer and run it in Vista. It's free. What's not to like.

Most of the badmouthing comes from people who don't know what they are doing, or are too busy or lazy to find out.

12. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

As a long time IT guy, I will not upgrade to VISTA until a need a new computer and right now that date is about 18 - 24 months away. By that time most of the MAJOR bugs will be out of Vista and the software I need will work properly. So until then stay with XP-Pro (Home sucks) and be happy that you can get your job done.

Ronbo

13. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

14. GeoCook

GeoCook TS Member

As my REAL job entails writing software for the material handling industry that includes both machine control as well as inventory control / order processing / stock replenishment the swtich to Vista is MicroSofts way to define the new .NET technology which uses the web for damn near everything. Have you noticed that most new applications when you request help the system connects to the internet and downloads the requested help packet. Vista is developed for this new technology which on one hand is a giant leap forward as far as developers go for deploying new systems and system security.

On the other hand I think they really missed to boat on simply dumping the old type of systems with the Client / Server and the .hlp files.

I agree that XP is Windows 2000 with a different face but Vista is actually a different operating system to some degree. I have the same setup here where I do have one PC running Windows Vista Ultimate and the rest running XP. Being in this business both from the Shooting Systems side and the GCA Systems side I need to know how both works. If you had a system that was developed using the .NET technology on XP it would run under Vista with little or no changes needed but if the system was a .exe / .hlp system you are in deep sh**.

George Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.