1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Going to Fl for 10 weeks during the winter, really don't want to haul all my gun cleaning gear. We're renting a condo, so don't have a place to do a thorough cleaning on the 391 I'm
    currently shooting. Wondering how many rds could I shoot wih out doing a real cleaning. All I plan on doing is a light spray with brake cleraner on the trigger group, rem oil down the barrel followed by a bore snake & a light spray with clp on the moving parts. Should be shooting 3-5 k rds during that time frame.

Thanx-Phil Berkowitz

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You can probably get by fine on your plan. If you are shooting the same place most of the time, you should be able to find a new semi auto shooting friend in FL that will help you with maintenance. Guys clean their semi autos at our club pretty often.

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Phil,
    If you are near the Silver Dollar bring it to me at the club.
    Mike Battista

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It depends on what ammo you're using. If you're using Remington or Winchester AA's, you're fine. If you prefer anything Federal, you will have problems.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shoot one ounce Estates and I clean my 391 every Spring. I have maybe one second shot feed malfunction every couple hundred rounds. Someone asked Anthony Matarese Jr. (One of 2 or 3 top sporting clays shooters in the world) when he cleans his 391. His answer was when he feels the action is getting a little sluggish.

6. hubdawg

hubdawg TS Member

Sounds like there are some 391 experts here so if you don't mind a couple of quick questions. My 16 yr old daughter just bought a Tekneys gold and is currently shooting 1oz Estates (1 1/4Feds too much kick even with the gel pad) at 16yds. What chokes would you rec. for the different yardages? She has never had a gun with a removable choke. Thanks Bruce

7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I shoot a 391 Teknys and use the Improved Modified for 16 yard and also short handicap, although the Modified will work for 16 yard targets too. For doubles I use the Mod. choke. Nice guns.

Chris

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shoot LF for everything with my 391.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I really highly doubt you will even have to clean it after 2000 rounds. Just keep some break free oil with you and spray the action down good before you shoot. A lot of people don't run enough oil in their autos. Too much is way better than not enough.