1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 won't cycle turkey loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by woodie, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodie

woodie TS Member

391 won

I have a 391 parallel target 12 guage that won't cycle 3 inch turkey loads. Last season after firing the first round I looked down to see my empty and a live round laying on the ground, the third shell was still in the magazine. I took the gun apart and found in the gas cylinder one of the four little holes was plugged. This year I cleaned the gas system throughly and shot a 3 inch, 2 oz load thru it, the bolt didn't stay open, should have been a clue. This season I sent the first round over the head of a fast departing tom and needed the second round, luckly it cycled but when I looked at my gun the third shell was still in the magazine and the bolt was closed. I like my 391 (sniff) so don't suggest trading. Any ideas on what the solution is?

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If you have a spare trigger, try it in your gun. If you don't and have a friend with a 391 - borrow his trigger and try it. Sounds like a timing and/or disconnect issue. Yes - if it is it can be fixed, but for the price and subsequent fear in the back of your mind that it will do it "again," a new trigger is the better fix.

Joe

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the stem of which the piston travels on and is threaded, cud be carboned- take a flat dish scrub pad and buff it up. never oil this or the piston area , as the carbon seems to stick more and get really hard! crbon up in the piston/gas port area shud be cleared as well. i wud pull your bolt and trigger t and blow it out. shooting a 391 dry is way better than over oiling. i find it hard to imagine that "gunk" isnt your problem- we shoot 1000's of 1 oz lite loads thru our 391's with very very few misfires -- now we dont sit in weeds or battle many elements other than rain!

4. woodie

woodie TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I should have stated this gun functions fine with trap loads and 1 1/4 pheasant loads. It's just heavy 3 inch turkey loads that I have trouble. I keep the whole gas assembly very clean. Could it still be a timing issue with the longer heavier recoiling 3 inch shells?

5. woodie

woodie TS Member

All the resident experts here and no one knows the answer to this one. Is this tougher than 7 1/2 or 8's?

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Have you pulled the trigger out to see if one of the hammer braces is broke or cracked? Check the connecting rod as well. If that is not the issue you might check with Beretta about tuning your gas valve nuts. I know when some people take the 391 apart they over tighten the two nuts on the end of the piston rod and it can cause you problems. Another reason to shoot a 303. Just kidding.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    BAD 303, quote: <i>"....Another reason to shoot a 303. Just kidding."</i><br>
    <br>
    Another reason to shoot an 1187. Just kidding.

8. woodie

woodie TS Member

To Bad 303. No broken rods, braces. I will try backing the locking valve nuts off. Now to find someone who wants to pull the trigger on those killer turkey loads! Thanks for the ideas.

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Don't back off the nuts, change out the recoil spring. check and make sure your forend cap is functioning and clean. GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.