1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 with 32" barrel handling opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dawgcpa, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawgcpa

dawgcpa TS Member

I'm having Moneymaker gunworks build me a 391 mainly for sporting clays. We have been discussing putting a high ribbed flatter shooting 32" barrel on the gun. I'm wondering if any of you that shoot one for trap could tell me the handling characteristics. I used to shoot a 30" 391 years ago. Also, I am 6'4" and weigh 260 so I think I could handle the overall weight.

Has anyone here shot one for sporting clays and if so, did it handle well? I've read where George Digweed went from a 34" O/U to a 32" because it cost him on short targets. I think I would love the swing of the 32 but don't want to give up too much on the short ones. Also, what do you think of the weight of the 32" barrel and is it too muzzle heavy. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

2. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

391 with 32

dawgcpa,
    I shoot 32" 303,s and they are my favorite,I have a 391-03 which is a 391 with all 303 gas system,32"barrel and forend assy.which I installed and have been using for about three years.
    I donot feel that the barrel length is a handicap,in my opinion it is a great advantage.
    I have been a master class shooter since the class has been in existance and the longer barrels are NICE !!!!!!

Best Regards,

Harold Steen

NSCA # 500292

Master Class Veteran

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

391 with 32

I would shoot a 100 rounds with a 32" 391 before you have anyone build one for you!

32" semi = 36" O/U

My son was approximately 5'8" when a helpful person tried to shove a 32" 391 trap at him. We tried it out at practice and the results weren't pretty and I told him to politely give it back. I'm 6'3" and it felt like I was trying to shoot trap with a boat oar.

The balance might be different on a 32" 303, but don't buy it if you can't test drive it.

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

391 with 32

Yes, I tried it for about a year. It was just too cumbersome on the closer shots....but, I'm only 5' 8", so your experience may be different. I'm back to a 28" for Sporting now and the handling is way better for me.

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

391 with 32

I know of one person that tried a 32" and that lasted a day. Stick with a 30", the fad of overly long guns has already began to fade.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

391 with 32

American Sporting Clays with its many close in targets and short windows, a 32” 391 is just too difficult to move or get moving quickly enough. Show me ONE master class shooter that shoots a 32” AUTO of any kind.

7. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

391 with 32

Mark425,
    If you will look at the above post by me you will notice ONE Master Class shooter that uses a 32" AUTO Beretta of two different kind along with membership identification.Also have been shooting Sporting Clays since 1985, 9 time All American two time Team USA member,one of the first five shooters to be inducted into Master class since its inception.
    WHO MIGHT YOU BE ???????

Best Regards,

Harold

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

391 with 32

And they say Cheetahs never prosper.....

9. autogun

autogun Member

391 with 32

Dawg,
    I think you need to shoot one. I usually shoot a 30" flatrib 391 when I shoot an auto for sporting clays. I tried a 30" and a 32" step bib on 391s also. The length made no difference. I don't like the step rib however. I disagree that 32s are too long for close or short window targets. you are bigger than me but I'm not a little guy. 391s are too whippy for me w/o added weight. Mine weigh 8 3/4 lbs. For me, that weight is plenty quick. Besides, you will find most good shooters add weight too slow down the gun. Speedy moves are not your friend. Mr. Steen above is a master class shooter and he says he uses a 32. But, respectfully, what he shoots, I shoot or Digweed shoots doesn't answer what you should shoot. Would you normally add weight to a light gun? If so, how you balance the gun will be more important than whether the barrel length is 30 or 32 for a guy 6'4". Enjoy. P.S. long barrels are here to stay. Even skeet guys like them.

10. Joe O

Joe O Member

391 with 32

I'm going to add my vote for the 32" 391. Mine took me to Master in 2004, Allstate In MN in 04, and 05. Try it if you can, you may not like it. Mine Is the lighter Mobilchoke, the Optima is a heavier barrel, that could make a difference. I especially like mine in FITASC and for Trap. I have added weight in the Mag tube also, but close to the action to keep the weight back. I'm 6'2" also and have more drop on mine with the step rib. This helps me keep my head more level. Look at the target, trust your eyes to guide your hands to the target, the gun will get there.
    Joe Opitz NSCA 535529

11. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

391 with 32

Another vote for 32". I shot trap with a 30" 391 optima for 3 years, took a 2 year break, sold the gun. I decided to get back in and picked up a used 391 32" optima from a guy that was shooting master class in sporting clays. He got out of shooting and moved on to diffent things.

With the 30" I installed a gracoil recoil reducer (just for weight) on the end cap to get the balance the way I wanted it. With the 32" the balance was just right. I really don’t see how 2" is going to affect the handling or swing of the gun but that is just me. Your mileage may vary.

12. dawgcpa

dawgcpa TS Member

391 with 32

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the opinions. I shot a 28" 391 today for 2 skeet rounds and I know it is not the one. I have a problem with stopping the gun so I know I want more barrel weight. Please keep the opinions coming if anyone else has one. If I bought the 32 and wanted to level the gun out, do you just add weight to the stock? Do you drill it out and add lead weights or is there something else I can do? Thanks.

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

391 with 32

Cheetah,

I scored at the Gamaliel cup 3 years ago and don't remember seeing any Moneymaker barrels. How popular are those with Sporting Clay shooters? What would be his resale?

dawgcpa,

C&H makes a mercury recoil suppressor/weight that you screw into the fore-end. Add one of those to your 28" and see if you like it. I'll give you a piece of advice by one of the best "Shoot One Gun & Shoot It For Everything."

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

14. autogun

autogun Member

391 with 32

You don't have to drill the stock. There is plenty of room to add either a Graco weight which screws on the end of the stock bolt or make your own, push it in, shim to hold in place and close it up with the recoil pad. As Joe said above, consider putting the front weight in the mag tube to get it closer to your leading hand ( instead of hanging it off the forend cap screw. Changes the feel. I like that better as well. To each his own; be willing to experiment. Enjoy.

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

391 with 32

There are several Master class shooters shooting 32" Beretta autos. I have shot one for 7 years and shoot lots of close fast targets with no problems. I like the added length for all sporting shots. It may take a little getting use to but it way better in my opinion than a 34" o/u. I have three 32" 303's and a 32" flat rib 391 that Simmons did the rib on. All are set up for sporting. Longer sighting planes are a positive. The reason most guys don't shoot 32" autos is there are no offerings from anyone in sporting configurations. So build it yourself. How much difference can there be in weight from 2" of gun barrel on an auto?

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

391 with 32

Half the guys shooting 30" barrels add a forend weight and use extended chokes. How can a 32' barrel be too long?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.