1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 vs fabarms auto

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browningshooterxt, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Browningshooterxt

Browningshooterxt Member

Need help picking which one would be the best for sporting clays and the good and bad of both

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Both are fairly reliable semi-autos, but feel very different. The Beretta is light weight and slim. The Fab Arms is a much larger gun. Shoot both and decide for yourself. Only you can decide which one feels best to you.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Look hard at the Beretta A400 sporting. It is much improved
    over the 391. It uses a rotating bolt. Weight can be added or subtracted
    from the magazine cap. Beretta has a video on U Tube on the 400. They
    state the gun should go 10,000 rounds between cleaning's. Obviously,
    that not the thing to do but the gun is extremely reliable.

4. Leafcutter

Leafcutter Member

I"ve had both. Currently shooting the XLR-5; no longer own the Beretta. The Fabarm has it all included; adjustable rib, comb, shims, weights, it's got it all. Plus, it's the softest shooting gun available. Best customer service available! Can call anytime and speak to the Fabarm USA rep. Absolutely no comparison.

5. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I still have my 391..........and the fabarms is GONE. The Fabarms FTF more in one day than my 391 has in 5 years...plus those dam light hits on the primer.

6. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

As a left-hander it's a no-brainer and with Fabarms adjustability, you can get it where you want w/o custom work or a rasp in the garage.

I own a 32" and use it for trap and clays. For clays I believe a 30" would be better for an average size guy like me (short for my weight though.

As far as reliability, I have not one single failure-to-feed in several 1000's of rounds so far, and I've let it bet pretty grungy to test it. That is with Promo, Green Dot, and a variety of new shells.

Just sayin'...

Larry

7. Slate mike

Slate mike Member

If you are comparing the Fabarm to the 391 Gold Teknys then I have to say that the Teknys feels better to me in terms of handling and size. Haven't shot the XLR but have handled one and it felt kind of like a big club. That's not to say that it couldn't have been adjusted to fit me. Also - the Teknys is available on the used market from about $1200 on up. Very few XLR's on the used market and those that I've seen were $1900 and up. Got a feeling you'd probably be happy with either. Good luck.

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I might add I am a lefty........The thought of a true left hand gun intrigued me. I will deal with the non issue of hulls across my face with a 391. I think the fabarms is a well designed gun but has numerous teething issues. There was nothing more got me out of rhythm than those common light primer hits. I sent it back, Tried another trigger group. I got it down to one or two per 200 rounds but that was to many. The fabarms does pattern beautifully. For a person with medium to standard size hands even the third generation stock is a misfit at best

9. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

cbxchris - since the Fabarm is gone this is too late for you but others may find it useful. The XLR5 barrel is a very snug fit and if it is not home all the way we get light hits. One must insure the barrel is fully seated in the receiver on these. It's like giving it excessive head space. There is a bit of clearance required rib and receiver top though. DGG

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Ahem...the A400 is a "cheapened" 391....we all know the faults of the 391........the corporate trajectory is to revitalize the market by "new" (seldom improved) guns that are pricier and have some gadget that hooks the gullible.....

The 391 is PROVEN in SC circles around the world....the FABARM is unproven.....new is not necessarily BETTER.....

My 303s and X-1s are purring in approval......

11. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Cazadore.........it went back to the factory.... AND still did it........as did another I know of. All guns have their issues. I found the 391 simply in my experience a far better gun in most every way.

12. thunder

thunder Active Member

Shot the a400 will keep my 390 & 391. Handled Fabarm and didn't like the feel, but saying that it may shoot very well.

13. SBray

SBray Active Member

I have now have a 391. It's reliable and popular. I shoot sporting clays with it, and it works fine. I had a light primer hit the other day. Put the shell back in, and it fired. I don't know what caused it.

As for the which would be better, as mentioned by others, it really depends on what you like the best.

I mentioned the 391 because there are so many of them out there because they work. If you went to sell a 391, you would probably have more interested buyers because of their popularity.

Steve

Search tags for this page

comparison fabarms flr a400

fabarms sponsored shooters