1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 trigger removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by steele, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

What is he proper procedure for removing the trigger assembly from a 391? I figure I better ask before I mees it up. Butch

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

#1 drive pin out-#2 push shell carrier button(it lowers the carrier) #3- put safety on #4-IMPORTANT-hold in bolt release button w/ left thumb-#5- with your right finger in the trigger guard and gripping the guard, pull up and out toward the magazine tube---ps: when installing the trigger back into the reciever--HOLD that same button in or the side of the trigger will get wedged!!! good luck-wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

You will make your life easier if the trigger is cocked before you put it back in. I've attempted to put the trigger assembly back in with the hammer released, and it's not a good idea. That's why it's important to make sure the hammer is cocked, the safety on (and keep it on), then remove it. Keep the safety on until you replace it (unless you're going to really get into the guts of the trigger and take that apart and clean it also). That's an entirely different beast/can of worms.

4. steele

steele TS Member

I'm still fighting to get it out. But at least I haven't broken anything yet!
    You need 15 fingers!!!!

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The button-hold down the button!!

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Removal of Trigger starts on 4:54 of this video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6U4FAs51tM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_6U4FAs51tM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If it's a new gun, it can be a REAL bear. The worst one that I ever dealt with was Pat's (P3AT) new gun at the time. Took almost one full hour!

8. steele

steele TS Member

That is what I'm up against now. A new gun & it's tighter than "bark on a tree"! Can it be removed without removal of the barrel & bolt assembly? I'm assuming it could.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just removed one that was extrememly TIGHT!! Be sure the hammer is cocked and the safety is on.

Remove the assy pin.

The trigger assy must move forward as part of it's removal, but it will not because the safety button will hit the receiver....

If you can reach in under the front of the carrier, pull the front out of the receiver. It'll only go so far, but far enough for the safety button to clear the receiver. The assy may be really, really tight, so a light tap with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle on each side near the front of the trigger guard may help.

Once the assy is raised in the front, press the bolt release and push the carrier to the center of the magazine follower. You may need to depress the bolt release button....push it all the way in.

With the carrier at the center of the follower, you'll likely need to tap the trigger assy forward. As it moves forward, the end of the carrier will lightly depress the mag follower.

Keep moving the assy forward until you see the end of the mainspring tube. At this point the housing can be lifted out....probably by tapping once again with a piece of plastic.

Dissassembling the trigger housing isn't all that difficult, so if you want to take the housing and lay it on it's side on a piece of sandpaper, sand the sides a little to give it some room during reassembly to the gun, otherwise, you'll be fighting just as much getting it back in and aligned properly.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.