1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 trigger doubling issue

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a 391 trigger that is firing twice on a single trigger pull. I never noticed it before, because I'd only shot it for trap singles and caps. When I tried it for clays, the doubling occurred.

With the trigger out of the gun, here's what is happening. Cock the hammer, pull the trigger, and the hammer fires. If you hold the trigger down, the hammer can't go past the rear sear to recock. If you release the trigger, it cocks fine.

(I'm assuming the bolt works before I can release the trigger on a normal pull, and that's causing the problem.)

I'm about to take the trigger apart, but I'm not optimistic that the sear is installed wrong, or that it's the wrong sear. If that's not the answer, do I start filing on the sear, or on the hammer spur?

Danny

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Just get it fixed and don't make public announcements about the problem or you might find yourself in deep doo doo. Do a little research. I'd put the words here but a certain agency of uncle sam might be using data mining techology looking for key words. You might also consider having David kill the complete thread. Jimmy Borum

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'd check the hammer braces first, I've seen it a few times.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you start messing with the sear you will ruin the trigger. There is another part of the trigger that is malfunctioning. Probably dirt in the trigger assembly is preventing it from operating properly. Soak the trigger in kerosene over night and then blow it out with compressed air. HMB

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

To echo others, do not start removing metal from any of the trigger components, try a good slovent + air blow out cleaning. Don't take the gun to a public range again until you are 100% sure the problem is fixed. If dirt & grit are not the problem get the gun to a good repair facility ASAP.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The sear only catches the hammer when the trigger is pulled. It is spring loaded and when the hammer hits it, it pushes back and then snaps forward to catch the hammer. That is the only purpose of that sear, and ,as you know, the gun will function without it if you are only firing a single shot.

Something is blocking the tab on that sear and preventing it from moving back.
    that is your problem. When the trigger is out of the trigger assembly, does that sear move? Your problem was most likely created when the sear was installed after you converted it from a release.

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Danny,

Here is my opinion. I don't know what work (if any) has been done previously to the trigger. That could have a big bearing on what the problem is.

Anyway, as others have said, don't do any filing at this time. Just do a real thorough cleaning and lubrication and then put the trigger assembly back in the gun.

Then, let someone else shoot the gun. If they have no trouble with the gun doubling while YOU DO have trouble, then the problem is the shooter (you). You might be letting the gun bounce off your shoulder into your trigger finger.

OTOH, if you and the other shooter both have problems with the gun doubling, then take the trigger assembly to a good triggersmith pronto. Guns that shoot more than once with a single pull of the trigger may be considered as full automatic weapons, and I'm assuming you don't have a license for a full auto gun.

Easystreet

9. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Ditto to jbbor

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Let another shooter try it. If they do not experience a double, you might be getting a fan-fire. Hold the gun tighter, and when you pull the trigger, hold it to the rear, then slowly release it. If it doubles again, take it out of service. Take it home or to a shop. Then,,,

Remove the trigger and carefully examine it. Hold the hammer, pull the trigger and let the hammer slowly go forward. Then, while holding the trigger back, recock the hammer. Watch how the hammer is held by the trigger mechanism. Then, release the trigger.

If things do not look right, degrease, blow out the trigger assy' with compressed air, and try it again. The trigger is pretty straight forward on the Beretta.

If it still does not operate correctly, send the arm to Coles and let them fix it.

I have seen some Berettas come out of the factory with trigger problems that should have been caught. OTOH, you may have some goop in the trigger that can be easily removed.

Typically, trigger parts must be fitted. Repair centers do not like to sell them to the consumer. If I sell you a part that should be fitted, you put it in your gun, and things do not go right, I may be held civilly or even criminally liable.

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

The rear sear does not move forward to catch the hammer, when you hold the trigger down. I obtained another pull trigger, to watch the function. The sear should move forward to catch the hammer spur, and then release when you release the trigger, as the bottom spur catches on the front sear.

I took the trigger completely apart, and the sear was very hard to remove from the trigger. It might be possible that the sear was not milled correctly, and is a little too "fat" to rotate correctly in the trigger channel. I think I'll polish the sides of the sear to obtain a little more clearance.

I appreciate jbbor's warning (I think), but I have a malfunctioning firearm that has been diassembled for repair. Once I discovered the problem, the gun has not been used again. No one else has used the gun. I mean, come on.

Danny

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a Beretta Armorer and one who has serviced and repaired my share of Beretta's, I have seen some stuff on these guns that should NEVER have made it out of the factory. There is at least one inspector at Beretta who has to be named "Goober". LOL

The trigger is pretty straight forward on the Beretta auto. It seems you have found the problem. I bet you were surprised the trigger was so simple. Simple is good.

I fixed a 391 a while back that had a pull-release trigger. I don't think that was intentional!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.