1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 TEKNYS problem??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have a 391 and my problem is it won't cycle my 1 oz reloads in doubles.I place 1 shell in the chamber and 1 in the magazine then I press the carrier release button to place the shell above the carrier.Then I procede.I have also left the extra shell in the magazine with the same result,Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.I have used several powders,18 gr. 700x,19.5 green dot, 19.5 promo,19 WST .My buddy shoots the same gun and loads and has zero problems,He even uses7/8 oz for the first shot in doubles and it cycles thru~!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thaks PJ

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try cleaning the gas ports

3. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

Have someone who is really familiar with that gun look at the shell lifter (carrier) and see if it is bent at all. You may need to get a replacement lifter.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

there was a silent recall on the lifter on the trigger. If it is straight across the bottom it needs to be sent back to Beretta and get the replacement one that is bent. They might want you to send in the complete gun as they did to a friend of mine. He argued with them and just sent the trigger. Look at one from a 303/390 and you will see the difference. Motordoc

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily true. There was no recall, silent or otherwise, on the straight carriers. Some were bent. Most weren't. Possibly the 390 carrier works better, but the straight carrier works just fine. You may need a heavier gas valve spring if you are going to shoot light loads. You can get one from Cole Gunsmithing. I have intermittent problems with my 391 when I use light one ounce shells, do I don't use them for anything except singles.

6. motordoctor

actually a friend just sent his in to beretta to have it "fixed" and they told him about the "recall" fix or whatever you call it. they said they were having trouble with the straight carrier and they were putting the bent one in no charge. They will probably not say anything about a recall but this is the info that he received. Some of the 391 lifters were bend on the end and some were not. chack the difference on a 303/390. motordoc

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Well, if they were trying to keep it secret, you sure let the cat out of the bag. I'm sure the change to the straight carriers was just a way to cut costs. I think I would buy a new carrier from Cole's before I would send my gun to Beretta and hope I got it back in my lifetime.
    With the straight carrier, you need to cycle the shells pretty energetically to make sure that the shell doesn't catch on the edge of the chamber. I think that the angled carrier may have helped prevent that.

Thanks for the info about your friend's experience.

8. motordoctor

same thing he said when they wanted the complete gun. Figure the insurance and shipping and it was about 60 dollars and they said they would pay the return shipping. He just happen to find someone nice and they told him to send in the trigger assembly and it would be back in about 2 weeks.I'll keep you informed as it was sent this past week.Coles has teh part but his was a new gun--three months old and they wanted the paperwork to prove how old it was. Got the deal done so we'll keep our fingers crossed. motordoc

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

There is a silent recall. It's all over the net at shotgunworld.com.

The carrier issue and also some have a firing pin issue, too. And the plastic ribs have a nasty habit of coming unglued from the barrel. What should you expect for $1,800?

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I tried one and I too had the problem of it not chambering the second shell. I sold it and I went back to my 390. I've seen several of them that had the same problem and also a couple that worked flawlessly. I'm sure I've had at least a dozen Beretta autos over the years and the 391 does not seem as reliable as it's predecessors. I love the handling of the 303's but the 390's are more reliable IMHO. I last shot a 303 in a tournament at the 1997 Triple Crown (Alabama Governor's Cup)and had used up my 3 malfunctions with 7 stations still to go...

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

12. idoc

idoc Member

Joe,

Get the bent carrier. I have been through the ringer with this and as soon as they did that everything OK...............Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recall beretta teknys