1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Stock. Dipped or real wood?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darincraft, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darincraft

darincraft Member

How can you tell if the stock on a 391 is film dipped or the grain is the real wood? Mine is a 391 Urika 2 with the satin monte carlo stock. The finish and the grain is consistent on the inside of the forearm. I want to make it an adjustable comb and refinish it, but I don't want to if the grain is film dipped.

If it is film dipped, what is the wood underneath?

Thanks
    Darin

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They haven't used that "XtraWood" film coated plain walnut in years. Yours is what's called "XtraGrain". It's not a film, but grain thats actually all the way into the wood by use of a laser process. You can cut it, sand it just like the real thing.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Post a picture

Gene

4. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

A shooter at our club had one of these stocks crack in half-right behind the pistol grip. She bought it brand new.

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I'll have to come check it out Darin.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it. I never heard of the process Tron described until now. Interesting.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

DON'T DON'T DON'T try to refinish it. If you want an adjustable comb, send it to Tron.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

As I am sure and know Tron is a very accomplished gunsmith, however my brother is very talented in his own right. He has the tools and ability to perform this himself. I have seen his work and it is pretty good he just does it for himself.

But he is not affraid to ask questions when he is presented with something that he is not sure of. He is unfamiliar with the wood on his gun and wants to know what the finish is so when it comes time to perform this task he is properly informed and has explored all his options.

Bryan (Big Brother)

9. Dickgshot

The X-tra wood is a film, but doesn't last very long and was discontinued. It may be what it's on there. More likely it's the X-tra grain, which is a coloring process that Beretta uses. I suspect it's more than just enhancing the existing grain from what I've seen. If you strip it off I'm sure what you'll wind up with is a very ordinary piece of wood.

If lil' brother is going to do the adjustable comb himself, there are complete
    hardware packages he can buy.

10. darincraft

darincraft Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I will take some pics and post them just to make sure of what I have. Right now I am working on an 1100 stock that I hand checkered and cut the comb. I just got the graco hardware today and once I get that mounted up and the finish on it I'll post those pics as well. See what you all think. I will say I am not too impressed with the graco 870 comb hardware.

Thanks again,
    Darin

11. darincraft

darincraft Member

here it is

IMAG0002.jpg

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That's just plain ol' Beretta wood. No Xtra anything.

13. skeetman77

skeetman77 Member

Yep, thats not XTRA wood/grain just plain ole Beretta wood. Is your gun a "gold model"???

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Looks like the wood on my Beretta autos. Nice stock. I have no idea what some of the yahoos mean by plywood, pine or contact paper stocks. All you have to do is pull of the butt pad to know what you have or got bilked into. What you have is walnut. A blind man can see there is no contact paper on there or dipped grain/paint. I wish there were pictures of the contact paper stocks but don't expect anyone to post one if that's what they bought thinking it was a high grade wood and paid the high grade price. Good luck with it, it's a nice stock. Good shooting.

15. Dickgshot

The X-tra wood looks like a $2,000 highly figured custom walnut stock. The X-tra grain has dark stripes. Doesn't look bad, but you would never mistake it for the original color. Yours is neither.

16. darincraft

darincraft Member

Well thats what I was wondering. I have never seen anything other than my stock. All the beretta's I have seen have this exact stock, which lead me to believe with all the hub bub about film dipped, all the other stuff I thought "well maybe I am missing something and this is not what it appears to be."

17. Dickgshot

If you want to see what an X-tra wood stock looks like go to SEARCH
    sign on name: TASOS, date: March 11,2010, subject: WTB Beretta 682 Sporting stock, there's a picture of one.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Here ya go.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

From a distance and if i didn't know any better, i'd say it looks real. If you know its a dip, its easier to see. To me its a wannabe nice stock. LOL

20. darincraft

darincraft Member

AHHHHH...People pay money for that wood? Holy crap that is fugly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta wood dipped finish

how can you tell beretta xtra wood