1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Sporting Stock work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hwcn, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwcn

hwcn Member

Who would you recommend for an adjustable comb on a 391 sporting stock? I contacted Ken Rucker and he does not do 391 sporting stocks.

Thanks!

2. cleboje

cleboje Member

Give Tron a call...from the looks of his previous work and the testimonials from his customers on this site...he does good work at reasonalble prices...

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Another nod for Tron

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I would find out from Ken why he does not do them. If Ken won't do something I suspect that there is a very good reason why. Jeff

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They can be a bit difficult, you have to be extra careful, but there are harder combs to cut. Normally $200 for those, but I offer 10% to TS.comer's on adjustable combs and butt plates, so $180 plus shipping.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

It may be a problem with the area cut out for the recoil spring/tube and attaching bolt. I had a 391 parallel comb stock cut for an adjustable comb several years ago, and my gunsmith had to make an insert piece of wood which fit inside the hole area cut for the tube to provide adequate wood to attach the comb hardware. The insert had to be made to also clear the spring tube so took some milling work and fitting for the gunsmith. Not sure if he would do it again, since it was quite a bit of work (he has now retired in any case). The sporting stock may have even less wood in this area, and thus not really have sufficient wood to attach the comb hardware once you cut for the adjustable comb part. Just a thought.

Jim R

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

hwcn,

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to let Tron cut a comb in any stock of mine. He knows those Beretta auto's like the back of his hand and does excellant work!

ss

8. msmith

msmith Member

Mark Deprez can do these. www.mdstocks.com. He does excellent work. Mike

9. cf4952

cf4952 Member

I've got one of Tron's 390/391 stocks. Great work, very reasonable. You don't need to quess if he can do them......Check his website for pictures.
    Good luck.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

No Brainer.....Tron

11. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

This is a comb done by Tron in a 391 sporting. Great work, quick turn around and very fair price. He know what he's doing. Thanks David

[​IMG]

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The picture above shows why I don't do these......the front of the comb cut has to start too far back to suit me, due to the lack of room above the spring tube. If the gun fits properly, the shooters cheek will be right on the comb cut. Just my personal quirk about minimum requirements for the way I think it should be.

Ken Rucker

13. chuckles

chuckles Member

Tron (Joe) has done 3 or 4 for me as well as 10 or 12 at my club, he has done Beretta, Winchester, Remington, SKB, Perazzi among many others....

I'm quite certain he will put the Comb cut most anywhere you want it as long as it is safe to do so, I know sometimes he adds wood to the stock cavity to allow Comb hardware mounting, I'm sure he uses DeVault hardware

Joe is very competent, quick turnaround, quality hardware/work and very customer service oriented as well as reasonable cost.

My 2c worth FWIW.....

Chuck

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, don't know what to tell you. I've done about 200 of these on 391's and everyone seems to be happy. The way I cut them now is a bit more broad and the cuts are more angular.

A few years back, I was using a lot of DeVault hardware (great stuff) but in the last couple of years I've developed my own out of brass or aluminum, two piece base or one piece.

This is the type that I install the most (shown in aluminum):

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2814.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I am not saying that Tron ( joe) does something that he should not do. I will point out that you can't argue with Kens Logic. That comb is not where it should be if the gun fits you. Your cheek should rest right on the comb or your head/neck should crane forward just a tiny bit. I guess that comb might fit somebody out there but it's far from ideal. What are you going to do? That is just another reason I hate field/ skeet/sporting clays stocks. Straight trap or parralel target for me with a 4 way comb and a buttstock cut to fit. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.