1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 shooters...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by obmud, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obmud

obmud TS Member

Replace your lifter with an older style!

I have 2 391's and both did the same thing, replaced the lifter in both guns and they haven't missed a second shell since.

Beretta changed the design on the 391's and after awhile they will all do this.

See Ya
    Steve

2. dwat

dwat TS Member

Chuckles, you may need to open your gas ports a bit in order to capture more gas from the lighter shell. Is your spent shell jamming on extraction or is it a feeding problem with the second shell below?

3. cleboje

cleboje Member

Chuckles

Take a 1/8 inch drill bit and run it into and out of the two gas port holes that connect the barrel into the gas piston hanger.

Do Not use the power drill to do this...just use hand action to push the drill bit...

The gas port holes could have carbon powder residue built up which is restricting the flow of exhaust gas into the piston.

If this is the case the 1/8 inch drill bit should do the trick.

Let us know how you make out.

Joe

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Chuck, chuck it and go back to those Winchesters...(grin)

5. cleboje

cleboje Member

Chuckles

You will have to disassemble the gas valve assembly to reach the two gas port holes...sorry, I forgot to mention that step.

Joe

6. frank t

frank t TS Member

If the problem is the shell not driving the bolt all the way back u might want to think about changing the recoil spring in the buttstock. If it has become worn or fouled it could cause problems. I take it that u did not have problems with this kind of ammo before recent problem began.

7. dwat

dwat TS Member

Sounds like a gas port problem. Joe is correct in using drill bit to clean out ports. Once you disassemble the gas valve assembly, you can open the ports with a bit that is ever-so-slightly larger than the port. I have done this several times with friends that want to shoot x-tra light shells. Works great with no problems. Care must be taken to go up in bit size in very small increments...You may have to repeat the process once or twice to allow enough gas to pass to operate the bolt. DW

8. cleboje

cleboje Member

Chuckles

Glad to be of assistance...shooters helping shooters is what makes this site so unique.

Shoot straight!

Joe

9. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

This is a common problem. The spring in the forend cap assembly may be too weak. It controls the excess gas venting. If it allows the gas vents to open too soon or too far the gun will vent the gas it needs to cycle. That is the self adjusting part. Cole Gunsmithing sells a kit with two springs. There is a red and a blue. I think the red works for light loads. It keeps the door closed so the gas works the action. If I remember correctly, the kit is around $20.

10. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

I don't mean to be contrary. The bolt isn't making it back with light loads. This could be any of the above suggestions. The gas ports could be clogged. The recoil spring could be dirty. The spring that controls the gas valve could be weak. If you take apart the recoil spring assembly to clean it you should replace it. I've done it 2x. Use goggles its frisky. The red valve spring worked for me.

11. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Just tell her its your friends and he left it in your truck....like half of my guns, one tractor and an F350.(I think she's getting suspicious)

12. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Just reread thread. I was refering to chuckles problem. Tinman88's problem may be the recoil spring. Don't go tearing apart the thing just yet. Borrow someone else's trigger assembly and try it for a while. I think all 391's are interchangable. Some 303/390 one's may also fit. If the exchange works, its the trigger assembly/floorplate/lifter. If it still fails it is probably the recoil spring. I have also seen reloads so bad that they stick in the tube. A lot of sporting clay shooters drop the shell onto the plate after putting it in the mag. Just push the little button at the back and the shell preloads onto the lifter. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and may help cycle the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cole gunsmithing 391 gas valve springs