1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hwcn, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwcn

hwcn Member

I have a 391 that has performed flawlessly until today. The gun has always cycled loads from 7/8 to 1 1/8 oz. perfectly. Then a mysterious gremlin has appeared. When shooting today, the gun cycled fine, but I had 10 different times where the trigger was not set after the first shot cycled. I pulled the trigger group and it was fairly clean.

I started cycling the second shell onto the carrier toward the end of my shooting and the problem disappeared, but this could be coincidental for the problem was very random.

Please help, I am baffled.

Thanks!

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

could be weak springs, or need a thorough cleaning (usually after 1,000 rounds).
    dave

3. hwcn

hwcn Member

New spring in the last three months. Gun is clean.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If the gun is ejecting the empties fine but the hammer is not remaining in the cocked position, then you may have something broken or some foreign object in the trigger assembly.

When the gun fails to cock the hammer after shooting the first shot, will the hammer cock (and remain cocked) if you manually cycle the bolt?

Try a different trigger assembly in your gun and see if it works well.

Easystreet

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Did someone do a trigger job or is there a release hook installed??

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If the problem is that the hammer doesn't re-cock after the first shot, look at the sear in the trigger. It has little spring that compresses to allow the hammer to move past it, and then the sear snaps forward to catch the notch in the hammer. With the trigger group out of the gun and the trigger pulled, cock the hammer and make sure it is catching that sear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.