1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JONNY D, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i have a problem with a devalt modified 391 barrel, it shoots well does everything right but i have problems with the gun jamming, it does it with most shells regardless of power 1150, 1200 even 1350fps ammo, i put the standard barrel on and it feeds everything all the time, could it be the small tit welded on the inside of the of the barrel to stop the cases going every where? the shells either do no come out or stick halfway out.
    jonnyd.

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have never expierenced this with any of the Devault Autos. Have you cleaned the ports and the gas system?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshoy

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i wud take the spring system off and clean out carbon buildup -check gas ports in barrel also for cleaning--the deflector you mention, shud have no effect on cycling!

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There is a spring loaded ejector built into the receiver that kicks the hulls out, so it's possible the deflector is preventing it from working properly.
    It does sound more like the problem is possibly a broken extractor. I would check that first.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Probably a misplaced or misadjusted deflector nub.

Jb

6. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

7. build4u

build4u Member

I would take apart the gas system on the barrel off and clean the carbon of all parts. Take a solid wire if you have it file a square face on the end and use the square edge to scrape carbon out of the gas ports. You can drill if you know the right diameter and start small. I run the bits in reverse at first to get started it keeps the bit from catching to quick and you do not want a broken bit in a gas port. I have never had to enlarge the port in a 391 in 12. Does it have a factory gas spring on the Devault barrel? Coles light load spring is red I think the heavy load spring was blue.You can try swapping the springs between barrels.Check the size of the gas ports between the two.

I read it runs with a factory barrel however it might be on the edge with the other. An area missed a lot is the recoil spring and tube in the stock. It is a crud collection point big time and can really slow down the cycling. Pull it apart and clean it and lubricate with a synthetic oil. There is a hole you put a wire or drill bit though to keep the spring captive while removing and installing.

I have read a lot of posts where guys say to run them dry or with very little oil and it makes me grin. I have also read to only clean them every five thousand rounds. Bad plan, metal to metal needs oil, run synthetic oil especially in colder climates. They are very forgiving guns however they need to be cleaned and lubed.

8. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I had a 391 high rib bbl by eubanks with a deflector or sorts on it and it would jam on my receiver. Started by taking small amounts of deflector off with small file and after about 3 times it has cycled fine ever since. jim w

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gee! What does Dennis say? You know the guy who modified the barrel, shouldn't he be the first guy you speak with???

Surfer

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Jonny, Did it ever work properly? The custom barrel that is.

I shoot a few Beretta autos and never had any real issues with cycling. Never had a desire for custom work out there. On my Parallel Target I had a piston crack and the guide bushing split one day while shooting sporting clays and never knew I had a problem that day. Kept ticking like a Timex watch. I break my guns down after use so it happened somewhere between my first and 100 shot that day.

Look into the gas system and main spring. Send the barrel back and get them to send you another.

11. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

bought the barrel s/ hand, love the rib and its shorter than the 32" standerd barrel at 28" i clean it regular but will try a bit harder in the gas ports and will look at the stock return spring and ill file the tit off compleatly! its just that it does not do it all the time or with any perticular load, and as i said with the factory barrel it works faultless, i also forgot to mention i use a release trigger not that that sould change anything, anyway thank u all for your info, let u know if i find the problem,
    jonnyd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.