1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Forend cap stuck- help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by travisalfrey, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

Help, I came home after a tournament and went to take my gun apart to clean it and I could not get the cap off of the forend. I then went and got a pair of pliers and a rag and tried to get it off but all I did was unscrew the rod from the gun/spring. I always just hand tighten it so I don't understand how it could be stuck on there. Any thoughts on getting it off. I am soaking it in gun cleaner and thought I would put a pair of locking pliers on the rod and a pair of large pliers on the cap. Should I put some heat to it??? Any thoughts?
    Travis in NC

2. archangel

archangel Member

This happened with mine and I luckily got it off. If u do get it off lube it and clean it do not over tighten it next time or buy one of the after market replacements which I am told have addressed this issue. It has a spring in it to compensate for barrel expansion as it gets hot and they do expand. I usually check two.things on mine as I shoot the tightness of that and if the choke tubes are tight. Again the end cap should be snug but not to tight in my limited opinion. Mike

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I was told two things by a Beretta, keep the cap threads wet (well lubricated) and very tight at all times or you will pay dearly for not doing so.

Soaking the tube and cap sounds the best way to go along with soft jaw pliers.

Heat will just make the tube expand into the cap, making it tighter and drying out any lube that reamins.

Surfer

4. archangel

archangel Member

Call Cole gunsmithing in Maine on Monday and ask to talk to their beretta gunsmith I've found them to give very helpful advice and very fast service. Doug braker in Minn is a great resource also

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Angleport makes an end cap that will not seize.

Phil Berkowitz

6. archangel

archangel Member

Rubber strap wrench great tip.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

In the future unscrewing the cap a half turn after shooting and you will never have that problem again.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I dumped my 391 Parallel Target after experiencing and reading about all the problems. Get an 1100. Regards, Ed

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Try tapping with a plastic faced hammer.

Don

10. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

Got it off- thanks for the help. Funny thing is I went to my gun club today and they had 3 club guns that had the same thing happen. I was always pretty good about cleaning but I will now take it to the next level.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Repeat: Unscrew one half turn after shooting. Over and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 stuck fore end cap