Trapshooters Forum banner

391 Firing Pin Retaining Pin

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BAD 303 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had the Firing Pin Retaining Pin back out while they were shooting their 391 ? This happened today when the wife was shooting . I thought she had broken a spring or the firing pin. when I got it home , I discovered the retaining pin had backed out of the Bolt and that's why it didn't allow the firing pin to go forward. I set it with a punch and it seems to be functioning now . Any ideas if something else could be causing this ? FYI, she has between 15 and 20k rounds through it .

Thanks

#4 ·
Dick : The return spring is in tact. The retaining pin was out of its' hole. In fact when I saw it fall free, I thought the firing pin had broken in two.

Bad: The heaviest she shoots is factory Remingtons.

I set the pin back in place and lightly set it with a punch. I just don't know that I trust it to stay.

Thanks for the replies. I

#5 ·
You may have had a little luck as in now you have to give it a good inspection.
A 391 shooter here had the firing pin return spring break (our best guess) and hold the firing pin forward so that in chambering the next round the gun fired before the bolt was fully locked in the barrel extension. Fortunately the only damage was a nick to the shooters ear as the bolt handle flew by. Despite the accident I suppose it is still a testament to the strength of the Beretta 391.

#6 ·
Lou it most likely will NOT stay put now that it has worked it's way free once. It could cause some damage if it backs out again so just take a punch and ping the lip of the hole on one side so it can not come back out. Don't get carried away as you may need it out sometime in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.