1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 "Fire" problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by steele, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I recently got a 391 for the better 1/2 to shoot. All went well until she shot it a night. 2-3 shots resulted in a little "afterburn" eminating from the ejection port where the shell catcher held the fired hull. She has shot this gun in the daylight & just never saw the flames. Well, this ended her wanting to shoot the 391 anymore, as the "fire" scared her. I told her & many others told her, that is a common occurrance with the autoloaders.
    She refuses to shoot it. Period! We've been shooting RIO shells in our break open guns without any problems, so I just fed the 391 RIOs. Has anyone used a factory shell that doesn't "afterburn" or have a recipe for reloads to eliminate it? Maybe a little faster butrning powder? If I remove the shell catcher, the "flames of fury" might go away, but then I don't want her bouncing empties off the shooter to the right.

2. Stuart

Stuart Member

Muzzleblast, Rio's amd Gun Club will put on a after hours show. AA will not. STS will not.
    Stu

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Use reloads with hotter primers-Winchesters or Federals-and the problem should go away!!

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Between hotter primers and faster burning powder, that nasty fire will go away. FWIW. jm

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I have the same thing with my 391. Like Stuart said, if I use AA or STS shells I never get a flamer. It's the shells doing it. There is nothing wrong with the gun. My Remington 1100 have the same occurence but use AA & it is fine.
    Get her some good ammo & she should be just fine. Colonel

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

we have similiar problem- with same shells- went to estate 1 oz 2/3 dr NO fire also shoot AA & their cheaper shells in same load and no problems!! i also bot Rio 1 oz #6 shot for hunting & games at the club- man you gotta watch the eyebrows!!!!!! they really light up the nite!!!

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

MUZZLEBLAST,

You might as well go gun shopping. No matter what shell you use through that 391, all she's gonna remeber is those flames and smoke. She probably won't have anything to do with that gun anymore.

Women are very fickle about such things. If she ain't happy, you're gonna be miserable!

ss

8. steele

steele TS Member

SS, You hit the nail on the head. I found that only the RIOs & certain reloads put on the "light show" I experimented & shot 5 boxes of different shells & not even one "flamer" . I told her what I did & we went out last night & I shot another 25 to show her " the mean flames are gone". She shot 5 shells ( all misses) & she informed me" I don't like this". She picked up my Seitz, advising, 'I'll just shoot this one". Well, to make the story short, I'm calling Richie @ Seitz today. Richie put one together for her to try at the Westy Hogan & she liked it, so I guesss I gotta ask the boss to work some OT.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Only take her shooting during the day light hours. Cheaper than buying her a new gun.

10. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

What about that K80 TS? It seemed to fit her well. All you need now is to get it to go bang.

Give her the Seitz O/U, she looks good in gold!

Ill give ya $100 for the 391, pull trigger of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.