1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 cleaning?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

All you need is some Breakfree CLP. Keep the gun shooting wet and you shouldn't have any problems. I usually go between 3000 and 4000 rounds without a complete cleaning.

Tron.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Once you have the gas valve disassembled, take a small screwdriver and pick and scrape out the built up carbon, then take a torch tip cleaner (Pictured. You can get one at any hardware store for a few bucks) and file clean the gas ports. I feel that the gas system being difficult to clean as some say is highly overblown...it's really quite simple and a very well designed system that doesn't need to be cleaned very often.

Tron.

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Make sure the gun is good and clean before hand, and you will have nothing to worry about.

As for the cleaning the gas valve.... get the wrench from Cole's that's specially meant for the job of taking the valve apart, and the whole deal is simple and straight forward.

Michael

4. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

You should not have to use the Breakfree CLP in the middle of 600 rds. Heck my 1100 will go more than 600 without a hiccup.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you have to worry about a 391 during a 600 round weekend you might as well either forget about shooting or get yourself 2 more 391's and bring them with you as backup guns.

6. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

!/8" drill bit(long) and a pair of vice grips. Use to clean gas valves. Keep whole front section dry(no oil). Oil just carbonizes and gunks things up. Clean pistin and rod with fine steel wool. Put 3-4 drops of oil on the groove in the barrel where the bolt slides back. It is right inside the loading chamber. Preload the second shell onto the carier by pushing the little tab at the back of the floorplate after loading it into the mag tube. This recipe keeps my 303/390/391's good for 2000-3000 rnds. When the forend cap gets too tight to unscrew by hand use the vice grips and an old tee shirt to loosen.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It's also important to take apart the end cap and clean and pack with white lithium grease. Angle port sells a maint. kit with tools and grease for the cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.