1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jun 30, 2013.

1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have been shooting a 391 quite a bit of late, and I can only find one fault with the 391 - cleaning. Lots of little parts get dirty easily. I am thinking of buying a parts washer with mineral spirits. Will do disassemble gun and drop parts in to soak for 24 hours. Will mineral spirits hurt anything?

Do you guys have any pointers on what you use to clean a 391?

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Yes, I own the manual and shoot it wet. I am just trying to simplify the cleaning. In my opinion, the 391 is one of the greatest target guns to date!

3. billray1

billray1 TS Member

I have 4 391s and shoot around 50k rounds a year.a lot of my friends have gone to the ultrasonic units from Tractor Supply with good results. Around $130.
    BillRay

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Supplies needed, Aerosol brake cleaner, CLP, compressed air. Disassemble, spray on brake cleaner (keep away from wood), spray with compressed air, spray on CLP (I use Remoil) spray with compressed air, reassemble. Mark

5. billray1

billray1 TS Member

Mark
    You might try 3in 1 oil. Works for me a little better than remoil
    Bill

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Woodson, it can be an hour project to clean one but it doesn't have to be. The solution, a Dremel, a rebalance of Ed's Red to 1/3 acetone, 1/3 shellac remover, and 1/3 mineral spirits and then spray down with Safari Charlie. Why Safari Charlie - it's not oil based and the carbon doesn't build-up as bad.

Have 4, 391's and clean about every 5 flats. Run it wet with Safari Charlie.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you feel you have to constantly clean your 391, the problem is you not the gun. Do you clean your car engine every time you drive your car?
    I clean my 391 no more than 3 or 4 times a year and it never malfunctions. It's 8 years old and has over 50,000 rounds through it. Anthony Matarese Jr.,who has won national and world sporting clays championships with a 391 says he only cleans his gun when he feels the action slowing down.

8. cafowler

cafowler Member

I don't shoot one but a buddy does.

He hasn't cleaned his in 5 years, probably has 20-30k rounds in that time. Just incredible how "wet" and dirty, gunked up his is. He showed me all the juise on the bolt, and I couldn't believe it. Mostly looks like black grease. He wipes the excess off he can get to with a rag, puts a bit of clean on every few months, the gun keeps on going, it takes a lickin and keeps on ticken. Really an incredible how his keeps going. He claims it's never hung up, and shoots as smooth as the day he got it. His is really a testament to how bulletproof this action is.

9. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

my 391 has started to hang up about twice every 50 rounds,,I took it to a gun smith ,he said it was really clean,,there was nothing he could do ??? any suggestions ,,,MX8Dave

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Do you have a straight carrier or bent carrier? If you don't have a 390 bent carrier, then have one installed.

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Benelli's have never been recoil trained though. lol Benelli's motto is it has to hurt the shooter just as much as the target. Matt I know a few guys that do use the parts cleaner and soak parts over night and they have had great luck. You still need an air compressor to blow them off. Or you could shoot your 303's and not mess with all the "extra" parts.

12. ring3

ring3 Member

Ed's Red, compressed air, and 3-in-1 are what I use. Takes about an hour. I do it every 5k rounds or so. In between just a bore snake, drop or two of 3-in-1 and clean the choke.

Many thousand rounds with out a any issues except on doubles. Occationally the second shell hangs up. Going to try a 390 carrier someday.

Rob

13. SBray

SBray Active Member

Barfin,

I have the 391 manual written by Mr. O'Caiside and have found it to be very complete with good photos and descriptions!

Steve

14. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

I've recently started shooting a Beretta 390. I clean with Ed's Red, original formula but am not sure what's best to lube this action with - and where to lube. I do know how to completely disassemble it.

What's the attraction for "3 in 1" oil? It's been around longer than I have. Have they adopted a modern oil specification? Many thanks, Ed

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have an AL-1, 303s, 390s, and a 391. The spring contraption hanging off the barrel on the 391 is not an improvement IMO, and makes it harder to clean. I don't take that unit apart very often, and it still seems to keep working. The 391 magazine cap also needs to have an eye kept on it.Mark

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Matt, the mineral spirits will do a good job and soaking overnight will make things easy to clean. Usually jusy 10 or 15 minutes of being wetted with the solvent will do. Never had a parts washer but that sounds like a good way to get the job done. In terms of cleaning time, I never really thought the 391 cleaning job was that bad. Generally about 30-40 minutes which included a barrel cleaning. No power tools required unless you just want to.

I also like Ed's Red but it is more volitle due to the actetone content. Probably not what you would want in your parts washer.

Typically I would do a cleaning on my 391 after four or five flats of shells which could be about every other week if you are shooting matches every week.

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the input! Yes, I am still considering a parts washer with mineral spirits. I don't find it all that bad to clean, as I enjoy taking everything apart, but I tend to be on the lazy side when it comes to scrubbing. The next cleaning time, I am going to try Brake Cleaner. I've never used it before, but last year at the Grand American - I saw it being used in the Perazzi and Kolar booth.

18. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Matt I have used Brake cleaner for years on my 303's. Works great. Seems to be the same as using the expensive Gun Scrubber cans.

19. build4u

build4u Member

I have been using a 3 gallon parts washing tank since 1985 with mineral spirits for gun cleaning. I keep a small cake pan in there, throw the small parts in and let the pump nozzle run in the pan. Use a wire brush and air to blow dry. You can get low odor mineral spirits. I did this indoors in a finished basement with a completly finished gun room no problem.