1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

391 Carrier Problem?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Howdy Folks,

Well, weekend before last, my barrel weight ripped out of my K-32 top single and in my frustration, I shelved the whole combo until I can figure out what to do with it.

I started shooting *gulp* skeet *gulp* with my backup gun, a 391. It was fine for 50-75 rounds or so, but then started hanging up on the second shell. Didn't seem to do it when I pressed the shell release and allowed it to move back onto the carrier.

A shooting buddy said that Beretta came out with a new (actually the old) carrier design, as they knew about these problems. He also said Beretta will give you a carrier free of charge.

Horse Puckey? Or is there some truth to this?

P.S. I had cleaned the gun, including gas system, not 2-3 days prior, so you can rule out a dirty gun.

2. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Hey Sam,

I don't know if Beretta will "give" you a new one but it sure might be worth the phone call to their customer service dept to find out! Even if you have to buy a new one, it still beats having the gun hang up.

Best of luck,
    Tom

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

..Horse Puckey. The carrier is worthless, but Beretta will not replace it for free.
    got to www.shotgunworld forum: I love my Beretta, for a full explanation by resident expert Seamus O'Casaides.

4. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I forgot to mention, I do know that they did make a change back to the old design of the 390 so there may be some truth to this. Here's the Customer Service number: 1-800 -237-3882 - Monday to Friday 9.00a.m - 5.00p.m. (EST)

Good Luck,
    Tom

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

www.colegun.com

Time to spend a little money.
    Get a 390 carrier assembly from Cole Gunsmithing. Problem solved

This solved the problem on my gun.

Two different times I went to beretta for advise and they were little to no help at all. Too much of a "What Ever" attitude.

The fix I recomend was not my idea but was offered here to me at TS.com by other shooters and it worked.
    I shoot a lot of Doubles with this gun.

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Ah crap.

I was hoping to not have to spend extra money to get the damn thing to work right. That's why it's my backup gun.

I guess I'll see if releasing the shell solves the problem. At least it's a temporary fix.

The K-gun needs fixing first. As a college student, it's one thing at a time.

Thanks all,

Sam

7. Dickgshot

You can buy a new carrier for about $ 35 and with a little work transfer the old carrier lever onto the new one. It's a lot of work to save a little money.
    Try this as a temporary fix: Be sure to have a solid gun mount, and use fairly hot shells. Giving the second shell a little added "oomph" often will force it into the chamber.
    The new carrier lever is the only thing that will really solve the problem.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can easily make a tool to remove the carrier lever out of a 3" C clamp. First carve out a dish in the the base of the frame (I used a die grinder), then remove the swivel end of the threaded shaft, then sharpen the shaft to a point. Now, you can place the base of the lever rivet into the dish of the clamp and simply press it right out. To reinstal it, insert the rivet back into place and use a punch to mushroom the end of the rivet.

9. Dickgshot

When you first look at that little rivet - about 1/8" in diameter- you will say:"shoot, I can knock this sucker out with a hammer and small nail." after you have switched from a claw hammer to a sledge hammer; and from a nail to a center punch, you will be laying on the floor sweating and swearing- and the rivet will be exactly where it was before.

10. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Sam,
    Just curious, what ammo are you shooting?

Would it happen to be AA's?

11. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

These were Estate 1oz loads.

I was using these for the first shot for doubles skeet. Never had any problems with 1 1/8oz loads.

And these estates are DIRTY! We get them for $4.60 a box though, and for competitions I like to use factory ammo.

Like I said, not a huge issue, but I like my equipment to work correctly.

Speaking of which, I need to figure out what to do with my single barrel.

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

hey guys. How about a few more pictures and ad escription of the real problem. Is it on the 302/303 or only 390-391 guns. I know some of the 391 carriers have a groove miled in the center of the lifter and the 390's I believe do not have that. I am having a little problem wiht some shells ffeding into my 303. The gun clubs seem to hang up right at the side of the chamber and the gun will not close. What is the real problem you are having with the carrier. thanks motordoc and hello p3at--hope you're well and shooting fine.

13. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I'll take a camera out with me next time I use it I guess.

There's a natural friction point and it grinds the whole bolt to a stop. All it takes it a bump on the bolt handle and it closes.

I like the 391 for doubles skeet since the lack of recoil allows me a quicker 2nd shot... Which is why I use 1oz loads.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sam, if you going to shoot an auto, you NEED to use clean ammo. Anything Remington makes cycles clean along with most Winchester stuff. Anything Federal will gunk up an auto in no time and cause a lot of problems with crud building up in areas that parts need to move. I would start with a complete tear down and cleaning, followed by shooting the gun wet with Breakfree CLP. Then, I would suspect the carrier.

JMHO

15. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Tron, I hear what you're saying. Any I shoot reloads w/ Clays for practice, so I'm pretty clean there.

The only issue witht hat is that I did break down the entire gun, including gas system, clean it, and use a final pass of CLP before these problems.

I'll give it another shot and use my reloads and see what happens.

16. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,I recently purchased a new 391 parallel target and saw this thread the other day and have a few questions.I sent the gun to Cole's gunsmithing for trigger work and now that I saw this thread I am having them change the carrier to the 390 carrier.Tron wanted me to swap out the plastic trigger group of the 391 to the 390 metal design but Cole's insisted that the plastic 391 housing is better because I guess the metal 390 group had a tendency to gall.Is there any other changes or modifications I should have Cole's do before I let them send it back???I hate guns that don't function as they should.....Also,an issue is made here about ammo for the 391,I have been reloading Red Dot for my Citori but I am switching to Clays;should I use reloads or just buy new shells the the 391?What brands/loadings seem to be the cleanest?Thank you.

17. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I swapped trigger groups with a buddy who has the older curved carrier. Didn't clean the gun, nothing different.

Took it out on the skeet field and had zero (0) failures to feed or hiccups of any kind. Used the same dirty estate 1oz loads.

18. Dickgshot

I shoot Estates and have no problem. I don't clean my gun very often, but I do
    spray some Breakfree CLP in there once in a while. It would be nice to shoot
    cleaner shells, but you have to shoot what you can get, and right now that's Estates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.