1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

390 vs. 303 for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I had been shooting my Wal-Mart 390 for trap, even bought a Super Trap stock for it. I only have the 28" flat rib barrel for it, so I felt inadequate.

I recently bought a 303 with trap stock and 32" special trap barrel. I only got one round in before today. Today I went to practice some before an ATA shoot on Sat, so I tried to get in a lot of rounds. I shot 9 rounds of singles and one of handicap. I shot 2 of the rounds with the 390 for comparison.

It seems like the 303 was kicking the crap out of me, and even slapping my face a little. Do the 303s kick that much harder than 390s in general? I tried to hold the follow through with the 303, but noticed some significant barrel rise. Any cure for that?

I also noticed something in my mount. (I was shooting alone, so I had some time for practicing different holds and such.) If I mounted the gun and held it for what seemed like a long time, concentrating on hold point and look point, sometimes my arms would tighten up to the point of shaking, and I had a slight tendency to flinch. On the last round, I made a good effort to mount the gun very deliberately, slowly, but when I completed the mount I'd call for the bird right away. That seemed much smoother. Does anyone use this approach, slow deliberate mount and call for the bird right away?

Danny

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just a guess but I'd think the recoil spring in the 303 needs replaced, lots older than the 390? Also, the pitch on the stock isn't right for you either. I notice no difference at all with felt recoil between my brother's 390 and my 303. Hap

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Danny, The body starting to get tight is (In my opinion)in anticipation of recoil. The body has developed a timing if you will and when the gun is up and not being fired it throughs off the process. You have heard this before but I am going to sat it again. the game is 95% mental. The slow smooth gun mount with a fast call is what i use and is a techinique that is well outlined in daro handys book about trapshooting. I highly reccomend the book and if at all possible the course. As far as teh Beretta kicking... Well.. that's what they do. Point like a dream and kick like a mule. I have owned several soft shooters and they were either 4 pounds heavier then stock or they had a recoil system. I like teh 303 the best of the bunch although I own a new( GASP!!!!!) NCP Beretta 391. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.