1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

390 Trap - Adding weight Quick and Easy?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a 390 with Super Trap stock. I can add some weight in the stock, although it might rattle around a little. There's plenty of room in there.

How about to the front end for balance? The forend cap is standard and has the ring for a gun strap.

Any quick and easy ways to do this for a shoot this weekend? I don't much care how the gun looks for this one shoot.

Danny

2. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

It's pretty easy to put a lead slug in the magazine to add weight. Any sizable shoot should have someone selling a weight that will replace the forearm nut. Put some shot in a baggy for the stock, and it won't rattle around.

On the magazine, I made a slug from lead and a piece of copper pipe.

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

SG,

Thanks for the info. Does the cap and rod on the front of the magazine screw off? I'm assuming you insert a weight from the front end of the magazine.

Also, will 8 oz. in each end be enough to tell any difference in this gun, to start?

Danny

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Load 2 shells with shot only and crimp them shut. Glue the crimps for safety. Put them in the tube with the crimps facing each other, in front of the spring. that should give you a noticeable difference weight wise. for more, use 3 inch.

Alternately you could work up some kind of brass slug to fit in there.

HM

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Take a 7/8" flat wood drill bit, drill a hole in a 2x4, fill it with lead, bust open the 2x4. Now, wrap the slug in tape, remove your tube end cap and stuff the weigh in the tube....done.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've seen the above technique used on a variety of guns and a few of them did not like the abuse. Magazines were designed to be fed from the rear and to feed to the rear and the feed spring helps absorb the force recoil imparts to the magazine contents. A 6 ounce lead slug placed against the end of the magazine tube of some guns will act as a low speed impact hammer and eventually beat out the end of the tube.

Morgan

7. Tron

I know what you're saying Capy, but if you tape up the slug so it's snug in the tube, I don't think there will be any issues. That gun in the picture has been set up like that for well over 120,000 rounds and there is no damage to the end cap what so ever. If it's just flopping around in there, I can see it causing a problem.

Tron

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Tron,

I can't get the lead slug made before the shoot on Sunday. I would assume I could use metal washers secured around a bolt with a nut on the end. Especially useful if I can find washers the same diameter as the brass flare of a 12 ga. shell? Then tape over the washers would make the fit snug, and tape over the ends would make them soft for deadening any impact from movement.

Idiot question: the magazine spring and plug exited the magazine uncontrolled. I am assuming the plug goes in first, large side toward the rear of the gun, and then the spring, and then any weight that I make?

Danny

9. Tron

Yeah, washers will work, but they're not as dense....so you'll need a whole lotta them. Once you start loosening the end cap, carefully unscrew it...be carefull that you keep enough pressure on the spring to keep it from flying out. You put the weight OVER the spring (toward cap end).

Tron

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, when I took the plug out of the forward end of the magazine tube on my 390, the plug has some kind of wire (kind of like a safety pin) protruding about 3/4" down into the tube. I'm not sure that this wire would hold up well with a weight pounding on it.

It's been a couple of years since I looked at this, but my intent at the time was to put a shell filled with lead shot in the magazine tube. After looking at the wire situation, I decided that it wasn't such a good idea after all. Besides, 2 1/2 to 3 ounces of weight in the tube isn't going to make that much difference anyway.

For the best recoil reduction, put the weight in the buttstock bolt hole. You can easily put 10 to 12 ounces of lead in there.

Easystreet

11. Tron

You're right Easy...I forgot about that retention spring on the 390. I guess that an endcap weight is the only other option.

Tron

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

That retention spring just holds the cap lock in place, which you have to depress before removing the cap. If you can get the cap back into place with the cap lock in the correct position in the hole, I don't see where having something weighted in there would make any difference.

The trick will be depressing the magazine spring hard enough with the extra plug in before putting the cap back on. I'm going to try, after a trip to the hardware store, and I'll report back.

Danny

13. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I put 36 5/16" washers with the correct diameter on a 3" bolt, and secured them with a locking nut. I rolled the whole thing in one round of electrical tape, and padded the end that will contact the retention spring. The contraption weighs about 7 oz., by the way.

I got it back together without much problem. The magazine won't take even one shell now, which surprised me a little. I thought the magazine with one yellow plug would allow two shells in the magazine, and the weight isn't as long as two shells. It's possible I didn't get the spring back in place evenly. Is there a trick to depressing the spring evenly?

I also have 17.5 oz. of fishing lead to put in a bag and put into the stock. (Lead shot is too expensive to waste.)

How does adding 1.5 lbs. sound, with more weight in the rear?

Danny

14. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Danny,

You'll have to take some of the washers out of the magazine tube and reduce the length of the bolt if you want to get a shell into the magazine.

A pound of lead in the buttstock is about right for me.

Easystreet

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I'm not too worried right now about the magazine limitation. Not planning on shooting doubles this weekend - 200 singles only. I'm going to order the replacement cap with as much weight as I can get.

I put 35 1/2 oz. fishing lead weights in the stock, and they are just about evenly divided in the cavity. I now have about a 9 lb. gun, with a little over a lb. extra in the stock. I'll let you all know how it shoots tomorrow or Sunday.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.