1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

390/391 light hits on primers (intermittent)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 410fred, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 410fred

410fred TS Member

I`M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH OCCASIONAL LIGHT HITS ON PRIMERS CAUSING A FAILURE TO FIRE...IF I REINSTALL THE SHELL , IT FIRES OK .... IT ONLY HAPPENS AT TOURNAMENTS , NATURALLY THE HULLS VARY, PRIMERS ARE NOT TOO DEEP..LAST NITE HAD ONE OUT OF 200 FTF...90TH SHOT..SATURDAY,HAD 6/100 AT A DOUBLES TOURNAMENT..ANY IDEAS,EXPERIENCES, RECOMMENDATIONS,SOLUTIONS....ANYTHING !

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

There could be a couple problems. Has the recoil spring in the stock been replaced as it can become weak and not close the bolt all the way after the first shot is fired. Another place to look would be the firing pin spring can break. After it happens is it only after a shot is fired or does it happen on the first shot as well?

3. legman

legman Member

I had a similar experience with a 391. I believe I tried everything, switched out parts with another 391 and eventually sent the gun to Beretta. They worked on the gun and it still hiccuped. I'm embarrassed to say the problem was a primer I switched to. (don't you think you would figure that out before you went through 4500 primers). Anyway don't overlook the primer.Kenny Bruggeman

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The firing pin spring is more than likely the culprit. Once it breaks, it winds around itself and binds on the pin when struck,,,,,,sometimes!! I just had to replace mine recently too.

Hap

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd bet on firing pin spring, like Hap said.

This spring holds the firing pin "BACK" so the hammer gets a good firm hit on it.

If the firing pin isn't held back far enough, you can get light hits.

6. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Firing pin spring, at a glance its not noticable as it winds upon itself and still looks like one piece.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It also may be as simple as cleaning the chamber well- if the shell is just a little tight in a dirty chamber and then moves forward (through the crud) at impact that could be it

They also had a problem with different shells at different times- Remington gun clubs had some primers that were visably seated too deep-

You can also have that happen with a home reloader

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. AHC

AHC TS Member

I had this problem with my Extrema II. I cleaned it but it did not immediately go away. I just kept shooting it and it seems to have gone away and stayed away for over a year now. Knock on wood. I wish I knew what caused it but I'm just glad it hasn't cost me anything to fix.

Adam

9. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

I have had this problem and it has always been the fireing pin spring break in mine and others that I have seen it happen to. I guess if your gun gets really dirty in the bolt I could see it happen then to.Just my experience.

10. 410fred

410fred TS Member

thank you one and all for your help ,FRED SANDERSON

11. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

What was the fix ?

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

are you using remington gun club shells??? They had an issue with a batch of them a few years back. The primer was changed from brass to steel and the steel was like a spring and the firing pin wold just put a small dent inthe face of theprimer and then the second time it would go off. If you contact remington them might replace the shells. It depends ont he date code on the bod. I believe the bad ones started with a d or an e. check them. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.