1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

38 Super powder recommendations sought

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I haven't loaded for my 1911 ,38 Super in a long time and the label has fallen off the powder container on my 4x4 so I'm going to just throw that out because I don't remember (for sure) what is was. (I know what it "looks like" but couldn't take the abuse here for talking like that.)

So I'm starting fresh and see that the Green Dot advice (and similar) is all about 33,000 PSI and the PB (and like) sits around 22,000. Is there any reason to use the high-pressure stuff? The league doesn't require "Major" or anything like that so I can pick my speed and so my powder, I think.

I plan to use a hard lead semi-wadcutter in the 150 grain range.

Neil

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you don't need a major power round then you will probably like the lighter bullets at moderate velocities better. I use HP38 for the 125-130 grain bullets because it burns clean, has a decent loading density and gives plenty of velocity for plate shooting. Kind of like a hot 9mm +p round.

If you have a bunch of the heavier bullets then a slower powder like Universal Clays will work but you will be close to the major power level when you get the charge up to where it burns really well.

Never tried Green Dot but it should work in this application.

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Herco and Unique are both fine powders for the super. Universal Clays is much the same in rate and characteristics.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

HP38 or 231 are the same powder. They flow nicely through powder measures and offer a wide range of versatiliy.

Robert

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try 3.5 grains of Red Dot and let us know what the pattern looks like. HMB

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Accurate Arms #7 was what I loaded to make Major with 130 gr CP Elites.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Unique gets my vote here..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.