1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

38 carry ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm not a handgun person. I'm a shotgun person. Well anyway I've lived in this house since 78, used to hunt rabbits out the back door. Now all I can see are "Noble Romans", "Subway" signs and stoplights.

I or nobody else can remember having any trouble in this neighborhood until the last couple of months. A house was robbed 3 doors down the other day, and there have been others in the last month. Also they busted a meth house on the other street last week. Welcome to the new reality. Less than a mile away a house in a new subdivision blew up - meth.

Well anyway I have decided to start to carry. I have a S&W snubnose 38, and a 45acp S&W pistol, the 45 is too big to carry/conceal. I'm far more accurate with the 45. I can shoot beer bottles all day long at 25 yards, but the short nose 38 is a different story. I hope and pray that I never have to use it but I like the 38 revolver because all one has to do is point and aim, and I don't plan on using it unless some perp gets within 10 feet of me.

Just wondering if 38 special "plus" ammo will work in a regular 38 special? Kid at Walmart behind the counter didn't know. I'm guessing it will, just want to ask the experts.

Can't believe it has came to this, in this neighborhood.

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

Because of the unrelieble expannsion of jacketed bullets, the 158 lead semiwadcutters hollowpoints in standard or +P were highly regarded in the 70's and is what I load in all of mine. Just like a hunting bullet,you don't want to go too light. Penetration and expansion is what you want.

Bob

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What type and model gun do you have? Many older small framed revolvers are not rated for +P. Even with High Speed ammo, the 38 cannot be counted on to give an immediate stop.

Don't expect an immediate stop with any standard handgun round unless a precision shot to the medulla is made. From the front, a shot just under the nose to just above the chin will instantly stop an attacker IF the round has enough power to give sufficient penetration.

A determined or intoxicated individual can continue an attack for 5 to 8 seconds after being shot in the heart.

One incident like this can end your life during the last few seconds of his life.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shooting Coach, it is a Model 10-5, purchased it from a trapshooter at the club probably 15 years ago.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A 10-5 will handle ANY factory loaded 38 Spl, including +P+.

Don't count on any standard handgun to give an immediate stop.

Train to shoot two shots to Center Mass, and get off the bad guy's line of attack. If mortally wounded but still mobile, one will generally charge in the direction they are looking. Don't be there. If he has a knife, you will both have to make things right with your Maker.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shooting Coach, thanks!

Pray to God I never have to use it.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I always like the Winchester Silvertip .38 Special +P in 110 or 125 gr.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use the semi-wad cutters in mine. I believe they are 130gr. Non +P ammo for me. The flash over in low light is just too much with +P ammo.

ss

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Bisi - www.buffalobore.com has exactly what you need.

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Bisi-most all manufacturers of ammo now have designed HP bullets to expand at low speeds also. When in doubt call the manufacturer. A lead bullet will go in but not expand basically while a HP will expand and put all the energy of the bullet into the subject.
    Find the hottest 38+P you can shoot well for defense and light weight stuff to just shoot around at the range. Lee

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree with the Glaser. The stopping power is near 100% with a good center hit. Yes,I will be called on this but please read all the reports before you yell at me. There is also a 38 Special made specifically for the 2" guns. It is made to expand from the short barrel which limits velocity. Choose that if the Glaser does not suit you. PS--The older Glasers were better than the new ones. They were dropped due to higher pressures & liability. I got this one straight from the Glaser people at a Shot Show.

12. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have my S & W Bodyguard loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.

Allen

13. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

I carry the Glaser Safety Slugs for the summer. In the winter time I switch to the Federal Premium 129 grain Hydra-Shok Hollow points.

Cold weather means more and thicker clothing to penatrate.

Vern

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Whatever else you do, and I would guess this is not news, but again, load with factory loaded rounds only. If you use even perfectly logical handloads for self defense, well, a lawyer could use that against you from what I have read.

("Your honor and jury, this individual not only shot and killed somebody who might have been attacking him, but planned to shoot somebody and even loaded special ammunition that he felt was most deadly.")

I wish this were a perfectly safe world in which nobody had to face lethal force and using same to stay alive. So sorry your neighborhood has changed.

15. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

The Speer Gold Dot 135grain 38 special +P "Short Barrel" is an excellent round. Low Flash.
    Handgun ammo has come a long way since the 70`s.

Regards, Pete

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Second claydotter, I also like the 147 grain federal hydra shoks.

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Federal HST is preferable to Hydra-Shok.

Hydra-Shok bullets are 20-year-old technology. In denim testing they usually clog and fail to expand.

Alternatively, any load that uses a Barnes XPB bullet (Cor-Bon DPX, for example) is considered to be a good load.

The Speer Gold Dot 135gr .38Special +P Short Barrel loads appear to be hard to find, though. Midway and Brownell's carry them, but they are out-of-stock right now.

18. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Pete, you beat me to it..!!
    This is one that has gotten good reviews from people who have had to use it, not just magazine writers:
    The Speer Gold Dot 135grain 38 special +P "Short Barrel" is an excellent round. Low Flash. Handgun ammo has come a long way since the 70`s.

Bisi: I'd also respectfully suggest you take a "concealed carry" course, if available. LEARN THE LAW...!!!
    There are situations you might feel perfectly justified in shooting someone that could land YOU in jail. Remember this...the "perp" is ALREADY A BAD GUY.
    HE, or his "buddies" WILL LIE to change the "story" about what happened, who did what, etc. Once you fire those shots, you can't take them back. Know your rights AND your responsibilities.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If I was going to keep a loaded firearm by my bed, it would be a short-barreled shotgun. Handguns offer two serious negative qualities when used indoors. Penetration - right through your target (if in the excitement of the moment you do hit it), the hollow interior wall behind it and on into whatever or whomever lies on the other side. And muzzle flash - if the scene goes down after dark, make the first shot count because you'll be blind for a few seconds afterward. Shotguns not only look more menacing, they are easier to use with the accuracy required and quite effective.

But if I were to use a handgun, a .38 Special like your Model 10 loaded with target loads of a 148-grain wadcutter would be my first choice. Low recoil, low(ish) noise, little to no muzzle flash and a wide, flat frontal surface to cut the largest hole possible and transfer all the energy the bullet offers to the target. I know it isn't as romantic as some of the other choices but it is effective.

As an aside, I do feel for folks who are concerned that they may have to defend their home at any time. I guess I've lived a sheltered life in that regard as I mainly think about how soundly I sleep and the odds of an intruder finding my gun first and using it on me. I visit the S&W and Kimber forums frequently and marvel at the number of threads on carry, concealment and personal defense. But I'm also glad that we, as Americans, are able to think about and discuss those things freely.

Ed

20. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

My vote goes for the Speer short barrel load. That is what I am carrying in my 38. 45 ACP gets the HST loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.