1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.38 ammo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just got a S&W air weight, I'm not a hand gun shooter @ all. Looking for advice for personal defense ammo.

I go to the range a few times a year to check out the Crimson Trace & the gun function. I live in a condo & I'm concerned about over penetration.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Phil,
    Any good hollow point will do well. Nyclads are pretty good. Just don't go +p if your worried about penetration.
    Jimmy

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There's nothing like a good old-fashioned wadcutter target load for low noise, little to no muzzle flash, light recoil and almost no chance of the bullet passing through your target and the walls behind it. I would not want to fire a full-power load with a short-barreled revolver in a dark room - you'd be momentarily blind and deaf after the first shot, so you'll have to make it count!

Ed

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

635G, I had that same little revolver. The light weight makes it somewhat hard to control heavy recoil. Federal makes a .38 110 gr hollow point self defense load that is very controlable and shoots accurately in your pistol. As a second choice, Remingtion makes a personal defense 125 gr hollow point that also works well. The pistol will shoot 158 grain hollow points, but the added recoil really twists the gun in your hand, taking time to correct your grip so that you can get a second shot. The light hollow points I suggested will not penetrate a windshield, but if you are trying to chase after bad guys, a pocket snub nose is the wrong tool.

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

There used to be a few fragmenting .38 special loads around. I still have six of the Glaser safety slugs. If you can still find them they would be an excellent choice. Other companies made them but I can't recall a name. They were very pricey. 6 of them cost as much as box of regular hollow points but they had an excellent record of one shot stops.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with Ed's continued wisdom. The difficulty in finding wadcutter/target loads may vex you some however. Loading your own can be the best fix.....breakemall

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Check out Hornady's "Critical Defense" ammo. I keep my S&W .38 spl revolvers loaded with them. (That is the ones I have in my house in select locations and/or for carry).

Regards, Allen

8. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

What AvragEd said but when out of your home I suggest Speer Gold Dot 135gr. 38 spl+p very good load.

9. Dr. Dirt

Dr. Dirt TS Member

Also I would NOT use handloads. If you have to defend yourself if push comes to shove and you are in court the lawyers will try to burn you for useing HOT? handloads I use factory ammo only.

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

This has been a big discussion recently in my household and with my friends. My wife's carry gun is a M-642. The JHP +P's are just too much for her to handle. I myself do not like the violent snap in the hand. I am going to do a test with some full wadcutter target loads and some standard SWC loads and see how that goes. One must be able to shoot one handed, and one handed with the weak hand too. Don't forget about the need to shoot wounded too. I would much rather have less bullet energy and be able to actually place the bullet where needed rather than shooting something so powerful it deters the ability to do so. Anyway, one of my buddies made the point clear, standard lead loads have been taking lives for years without problems.

11. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`m with Dr. Dirt.

The Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. "Short Barrel" loads are quite good. These are about the limit that you can realistically shoot in these small lightweight guns.

Regards, Pete

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I raise my hand to second the Hornady Critical defense...watched tests...extra powerful in 38 with perfect penetration and expansion even when passing through heavy clotheing but never exited...hits hard and stays put in the target...to me thats perfect..I have it in Hi-Power 40cal in the nightstand and also used the 357Mag in my Marlin rifle to destroy my groundhogs who love my backyard

13. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Second for Speer Gold Dot SB, start with the above link and when you are finished there go to Parts II & III. A very friendly informational blog (ammo, holsters, cleaning, maintenance, etc.) surrounding the S&W X42 J frames.

14. neofight

neofight TS Member

Looks like you got plenty of help on the loads, be sure you have a good set of comfy grips, really helps.My wife has the same gun and we finally popped the wood grips and put on a set of Pachmayrs. It made a big difference in the comfort department.

15. neofight

neofight TS Member

Looks like you got plenty of help on the loads, be sure you have a good set of comfy grips, really helps.My wife has the same gun and we finally popped the wood grips and put on a set of Pachmayrs. It made a big difference in the comfort department.

16. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Please pattern the load you intend to use. Some of the +P 110gr and MagSafe offerings will pattern well below point-of-aim.

Taurus 851 Ultra-Lite Titanium .38+P Speer Gold Dot 125 JHP; 2 hand unsupported hold at 7 yds. with Pachmayr Compac Grips TR-C

[​IMG]

17. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

+1 on the Nyclads. I have kept them in my Model 49 Bodyguard since the 80s.

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

any brand name, lightweight defense bullet will do nicely: they're all the same. good luck with it

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Wadcutter loads are readily available at MidwayUSA - cheap, too. Fiocchis are on backorder right now, but they're only $20 for a box of 50 and they shoot well for me. The brass is very reloadable - consistent case length and no primer pocket issues.

Ed

20. BT99

BT99 Member

Now that the ammo question is settled, I'll add something else. I speak
    from almost 30 years of being a LEO. IF you must use the handgun, make sure the doer is dead. Then there is only one version of what happened, yours.
    Remember that you feared for your life and where is my attorney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.