1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

38/45 Mag. is born..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Maybe my last wildcat.. that might be useful.. It's a 45 Win mag. shortened and necked down to .357 I'm looking for over 1800 fps with a 95 grain bullet..and with a 7" barrel.. maybe 2000 fps if I get lucky. It will work thru a regular 1911 that's been built properly.. Hopefully.. using a 6" Longslide.. and a 7" bull barrel.. my dreams will be realized..

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ok.. got the picture up.. The first completed shell casing.. I'm open..any suggestions on the name.?????

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You will be pushing 40,000+ pressure with that configuration shell, hope the locking lugs hold up. Anytime you bottleneck a straight wall case the pressure jumps up. The 357 Sig generate 40,000 psi but the cases are made to handle it, the 45 ACP case is not.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 45ACP case.. on top of being to short.. is to weak.. The case is formed from 45 Win Mag Starline brass.. Starline tells me its the strongest case they make.. I'm looking not to exceed 36,000 psi.. and the larger case capacity should let me exceed 9X25 Dillon with reduced pressure.. I know by sheer case volume..I can exceed the 9X25.. The question is.. by how much.. On another note.. I could use 40 Super brass.. but that is not avaiable until later this summer.. That will eliminate 3 case forming operations..but I'm giving up a little bit of case neck..On the plus side.. it will need no trimming and can be used right out the die.. I eagerly encourage anyones input.. as I'm sure I have not thought of everything..

On a second note.. I've loaded and shot alot of 38/45 made from 45acp brass with 4.5 grains of bullseye..with 158 grain semi wadcutter.. Pressure is way under 18,000 psi and its an excellent paper puncher.. Feeding is flawless.. even with 148 grain wadcutters..

This is not a shell I would shoot much..but I'd hate to not get it done before I can't get it done.. I'm also considering a 10mm necked down to 30 cal.. or maybe even 25.. Making something like a 256Winchester...

All Good.. Mike

5. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

You ould call the new shell a 38 H-U(Hurry Up) as agood a name as any

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. The 9X25 is still alive in my head.. I have a 357 Sig reamer..and a Nowlin barrel or a STI Comp barrel that I can open up..and use my regular 357 Sig dies..if I use a 10mm with no expander first.. Just.. I don't have a spare 10mm Longslide.. One will pop up sooner or later..

Then.. I just bought a whole set of 38/45 form dies.. There.. I have the slide.. but not the barrel.. I will need a barrel with a 1 in 32" twist.. for the speed I'm trying to get to.. A 1 in 16" or 1 in 24" I just don't think will do it.. I'm waiting for Ross to give me his input before I do anything..

On a much brighter note.. my 357 Sig Longslide 1911 with a 6" Clark barrel shot lights out yesterday.. Easy to build.. powerful.. and very,very accurate.. And when I shoot a handgun well.. its the arrow..as I'm blind as a bat..

All Good Guys.. Mike

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That sound like a very hot round, make sure your 1911 frame can take it's beating.

The old 10 mm caused much problems in the 1911 frames, this would be my main concern.

Have fun at the meantime.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 7.62X25 would be a smaller case.. The length is right.. just the 10mm case is larger in diameter.. The shell would look the same.. just be quite a bit faster with the 85 grain bullet..

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Steve.. I'm still in the learning stages of all of this.. I do know.. with one of my 10mm... properly fitted for full lug engagement..and correct long link.. With full power by the book 10mm loads.. and a 11 pound recoil spring..AND A FULL COMP.. I can barely eject the shells more than 2 feet to the right.. Same barrel.. no comp 18 pound spring.. 40 S&W shells.. the brass ejects almost 5 feet out of the same gun.. I'm finding that a large heavy comp..properly fitted.. and not set up for speed.. but for lockup..in a heavy slide does not batter a frame like a uncomped gun can do.. The early 10mm were non comped.. and without a buffer.. smacked the hell out of the frame. As the frame is not the part.. taking the pressure as much as the slide is..If you prevent the battering.. You save the frame..

Now.. sheering off the lugs on the barrel/slide is a different issue..

Keep the cards and letters comming.. All Good.. Mike

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Actually.. if you reloaded.. You could just barrel up a 1911 in 7.62X25.. and slightly reduce the overall length to fit the mag.. Use a 38 Super slide..and you'd have a pretty good shooter..

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the old .44 mag necked down to .357. I was always interested in that thing. I think they called it the .38 Bains and Davis or something like that.

12. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

What about calling it the Grizzly 357 Mag. LAR tried this wildcat some years ago along with a conversion kit for the Grizzly Mag..PG

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I like the concept and a bottle necked cartridge has usually fed better than straight cases for me. I had played with the .400 Corbon and wondered what a 9mm would do. You could also form cases out of .308 or .30-06 brass, but you would need to ream the cases to get a thin enough neck for proper function. We did exactly that for the AutoMags some years ago. If you can use the .45 Mag case, then it's great as long as you can get brass. Keep us posted, I'd be interested to know how you make out with it.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Tripod, that was a 357/44 B&D or Bain&Davis back in 1964 They were driving a 158 Gr. bullet at 1900 FPS +

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 357 Grizzly was the 45 Win Mag.. necked to 38 cal.. It used the whole case.. Humdinger of a shell.. just to long for a regular 1911.. It rivaled the 357 Bain and Davis.. which I shot years ago in a T/C break action pistol.. WOW.. it was a handful.. and deadly accurate.. I don't have enough case to rival it..and you can't beat cubic inches.. But I might come close..

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey!

Why not call in .357 BBP ?

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    PerazziBigBore, congratulations, you've reinvented the 357 Auto Mag.

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Mike is it the Comp's weight or porting that reduces the punishment on the frame? Both?

Joe

19. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Kinda looks like my J.D. Jones .41 Avenger.

20. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Call it the 357-1911

or maybe the 38 auto ultra mag

Just curious are these for fun or are you trying to find different loads that are accurate and still make the IPSC power factor for competition?

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.