1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

366?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

does anyone have a 366 reloader that drops the shell down the hole.just got mine back from the factory and it will not drop that shell down the hole.I have moved the spring all over but it will not go down the hole.it either flips it out on the bench or jams it under the plate.any ideas?

tracy
  2. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Member

Try taking your plate off and making sure that some shot did not get under the plate. Also try to tighten the plate with the center nut. loose plates can cause the shell to jump but most of the time shot is the problem.
  3. HTSmith

HTSmith Member

Is the platen plate screwed down too tight? I'd take the plate off and make sure there's no debris or shot where it shouldn't be. In 15 years of pulling a 366 handle, I have one tumble off the back once in a while but nothing like that.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Make sure the edges(indicated with my ink pen) are nice and sharp edges and that they are not rounded over. If they are rounded, take a file and sharpen up the edges so the shell has a nice channel to slide in and hold it in place.
    grntitan_2009_2503249.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503251.jpg
  5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Active Member

While you have the plate off, check the groove that the casing head lip travels in for debris(possible piece of shot).

I always hesitate a bit with the handle as the shell enters the kick-out area just to be sure it goes in properly.

Good luck.
  6. burtona

burtona Member

Most of the time mine drops through the hole OK, but if I try to raise the handle too fast I get the results you do.
  7. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Mine has always worked fine WITHOUT the spring.

Jim Skeel
  8. Jeff P

Jeff P Active Member

I'm with Jim...I took the spring off, and it works fine.

I also agree that if you raise the handle too fast, they do flip out and land in your lap.

Mine is sooo old (circa 1977 or so) that all the edges are rounded off...dunno how many rounds through it, but it works fine.

You're not having any trouble getting the primer to drop, are you? Usually that's the prime indication you're trying to go too fast.
  9. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

yesterday was a complete disaster.I filed and ground and it still wont go down the hole.after 4 hrs of loading ,the scrap bucket was filling up faster than the reloaded bucket.so after consulting with my reloading expert(my white faced 13yr old lab) we retired to my office and started to rethink my ownership of a 366.after consuming many cans of my favorite adult beverage form golden co it was time to go to bed.but it was brought to my attention that i could not take a sleeping pill because of my alcohol intake. did not sleep a wink.so here i sit trying to keep my eyes open with a throbbing headache.I may be hard headed but not stupid.I think being hard headed comes from being 75yrs old.uh maybe not.anyway i called hornady got the price for a new platen,outer ring,and a new pawl.yes i bent it and broke it trying to bend it back.a total of almost $50.00+ shipping.now do i put 50.00 more into it or do i sell it as is,cut my loss,and look for a mec 9000/rcbs grand.will consult my expert, minus the silver bullets from golden. I thank you all for your advice.

Tracy
  10. Jeff P

Jeff P Active Member

maybe the plate is TOO loose, and the hull is riding up and over the curved rim that sends it down the hole, instead of riding along it?
  11. grntitan

Mine works great. As another poster put I have one every now and then that will pop over but it usually happens when I try and rush things. There are a lot of variables for it to work right and more than likely your issue is a combination of all or a few of the above. The 366 is not any different than any other loader. Each station must be adjusted properly to function right. They all require a tad bit of mechanical know how and tinkering. Even my MEC 600 jr requires adjustment and maintainence.
  12. blkfin

blkfin Member

Are you resizing your hulls. From past experience If the hull is tight going into the shell plate on the first station it should be resized. The added pressure will not let the shell slide easily at the final drop off station and go into the hole. I don't resize after 1-2 reloads but will after 3-4. Hope this helps. Mike K
  13. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

After sitting in my Zen position and meditating(that means slouched in my recliner staring at the wall) i was ready to get rid of it. then i thought i would give it one more try.got a used pawl from a friend and installed it.it will go around the track when you pull the lever down but wont spring back and engage the plate on the up stroke.this went on for several min.then for some reason i looked at the wad holder and it had stopped indexing.the little C clip was gone.found it but it was bent.first thought was "get this pos away from me".then hard head kicked in."when your in a hole keep digging".It is going to the machine shop next week.hello Bridgeport.it "will" drop the shell in the hole when it gets back.it may drop golf balls down the hole when it gets back.updates will be posted.

tracy
  14. TC

TC TS Member

After 40 some years of experience the one little known "secret" of 366 operation is a very deliberate, smooth stroke. Any jerking or slamming will cause problems. It will result in hulls falling off.
  15. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

if anybodys intrested i have a 12 gauge pacific 366 loader for sale execcelent condition.. missing auto advance... shoot me a offer around 200 so..
  16. Ross

Ross Active Member

Rim thickness will cause this if they are a little too thick or wide & most re-sizers don't re-size the rim, so as per doggai & a couple others check and make SURE the hulls travel FREELY in the channel. Then a steady (& perhaps slower)pull & return of the handle. grntitan & others noted an occasional pop-over mine did the same thing but using only my own hulls - resizing (a PITA I know) & a little slower deliberate stroke cured the (my) problem. Good Luck----Ross Puls
  17. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

I use mostly MEC's but have a 366 set up for game loads. It's always dropped them. I didn't know it was special:eek:)

Ajax
  18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Are you using the resizing station? When you place an empty hull in the machine does it slide right in or do you have to push it in? If the base of the hull is too big and you have to push it in, you will feel resistance when you rauise the handle at the "finished shell eject" station. Then when you raise the handle with more force, the finished shell will pop out and not go down the hole. The solution is simple - resize first. It slows you down but it works.
  19. tugcap

tugcap TS Member

what gun are you shooting, are you using shells in a perazzi and some other gun. are you reloading remington gun club shells with a steel base?

a 366 will load and eject any hull except steel bases unless you set machine up to load them specificly. steel bases have a different size rim thickness and the metal is thicker than brass. you need to set the plate for the steel bases, it is a very fine adjustment of the plate nut. generally you should tighten the plate nut until you feel a slight drag when working the handle, then back off just a hair. work your handle 10 times then see if adjustment has moved, reset if necessary.

if you are shooting these hulls in a perazzi and a 3200 interchangebly you may have to resize every time. i have never had to resize any hull and have bought 1000s of hulls from other sources, the only one that gives me a little trouble are the steel bases.

steel bases with thicker metal will also try to hang up on the plate when in the primer seating station. the plate advance ajustment must be set very close to prevent most of these hangup. as you raise the handle after setting the primer, the side of the steel base might hang up on the plate edge and cause a slight deformation. the plate must fall into the detent of the plate every time it advances.
    if you are raising your handle slow enough you will see it hang up and can clear it with your finger. if this is happening bulging of the bottom of the base can occur which causes the base to drag when it gets to the ejection station, causing the shell to not eject properly. also ensure the primers are being set properly. set loaded shell on flat surface. it should not wobble. remington and fiocce primers work well in remington hulls but cci primers dont. the brass rim on the primer does not clear the bottom of the base and causes dragging at the ejection port.

do not file or grind on the platen, it is not the problem if it just came back from the factory. what did the factory do to your machine.

the channel in the platen is not the problem, the channel is very deep, but when the shell slides into the final crip station the platen is flat as it has to be, so then a dragging shell will not eject properly. not slowing down when returning the handle to the upright position may be your only problem.

i had this problem once and the cause was that i did not have the platen tight enough and shells were riding up on the edge of the platen slot that guides the shell into the drop hole. after a while the edge of the guide wore down and caused shells to not slide toward the drop hole correctly. i replaced the platen, end of problem. hornady replaced platen on warranty. bought it in 1988.

if you have no damage to your machine it probably isn't set up right.
    i have loaded 20,000 rounds and never made an adjustment.

sounds to me like you shouldn't be reloading.

al
  20. grntitan

That's a bunch of BS especially the last line of your post. My machine pictured above ejects just about every loaded shell properly. I may have one every now and then jump over but its usually my fault. As you see above I was loading steel based Gun Clubs but I had been loading STS before that. I changed absolutely nothing when I changed hulls. I simply started feeding it Gun Clubs instead of STS hulls. I could load STS and Gun Clubs every other hull without any changes or issues.

Even though my Pacific 366 runs like it is supposed to 99% of the time, I do think the loaded shell eject system could be better designed.