1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 reloading questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

What wad is everyone using for 7/8 oz. loads in AA hulls? I am trying to use Downrange xxl, but i seem to have clearance issues on my 366. The xxl is about an 1/8th of an inch taller than the DRA 12 i am using in my 1oz and1 1/8 oz. loads. They don't want to seat deep enough, so i lower the wad seating rod just a hair to correct that, and then when the wad guide swings over it contacts the wad seating rod before it gets over top of the hull. Any ideas are apprecieated. Thanks Bret.

2. TC

TC TS Member

Check that the wad guide is just clearing the top of the hull. Then make sure you are seating the wad into the spring guide and not just laying it in the guide.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try tilting the wad forward, so as the wad guide swings in, it clears the front edge of the wad, but contacts the back edge.

I've never tried this myself, so I can't say if it'll work, but someone from Hornady suggested it to me.

4. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I am using Clyabuster 0178, but I am not using much if any wad pressure. I basically adjust wad pressure with my crimp.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You don't need any wad pressure at all. I can seat a wad with my pinky finger in a 12ga hull. The wad pressure went out with the old style wads many years ago. All you need to worry about is getting the wad ontop of the powder. As another poster stated, the crimping process will apply all the pressure needed.--Matt

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

There is a small screw on the wad guide body that can be used to adjust the clearance. I use the "GRAY WAD" from Winchester.

7. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

This is my experience, I hope this will help:

The AAHS is relatively low capacity case. I found the CB1100-12 (Pink)with Clays, Red Dot, SOLO 1000 (for smoother recoil, but avoid cooler primers for best patterns) gives the most consistent, most perfect, crimps. Using TiteWad, Nitro 100 or HiSkor-700X requires the CB178 (gray) wad, or if you prefer, the more expensive Winchester 12L (Gray).

Using the CB1100-12 will eliminate the wad ram issues, altho if you have access to a grinder, I suggest you shorten it by about 1/16". Doing this will not create problems when loading shorter wads with heavier shot loads.

The CB1100-12 wad shows very good consistency over the chronograph and prints excellent patterns.

The site above shows other possible wad lengths . . .

- - Bill

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I agree with Birdogs. You need to adjust the height of the wad holder. There is a little screw on the left side of the holder's arm. Loosen this screw and slide the holder up or down until you get the height you want. Then snug the screw back down.

The bottom of the wad holder should just clear the top of the shell when the holder arm swings the wad into place. My guess is that you've got the wad holder set too high on that rod that it slides on. Loosen the screw and lower the holder a little bit. Then report back to us.

Easystreet

9. Roc'n C

Roc'n C Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.