1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Paul, take the time to give Hornady a call 308-382-1390 and ask to speak to Todd Knect. He will tell you exactly what you need. Great people to work with.

Steve E.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Paul, the inside of the crimp die will sometimes rust. I believe the plastic residue has something to do with it. The best way to clean it is to remove it from the loader and use either a chamber brush or a wire bore brush in a drill with some fine steel wool wrapped around it. If you coat the inside of the crimp die with Birchwood Casey Sheath it will help. If the loader is not going to be used for a period place a piece of cloth soaked in a Sheath in the die.

Jim Skeel

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I have a tapered final crimp die and would not change it. If you have too much taper and are crushing AA hulls, move it up and readjust the seating stem. Polish out the rust with some emery cloth and re-install. The wosrt thing pits will do if you can't get them out is leave a slight scuff on your hulls.

If you don't have the spring loaded primer seater, I would go with that. May as well get new washers and wad guides while you are at it.

My .02

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Don`t use a hone to take any metal from it , the wire brush should work fine and a slight lube job.

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Some years ago, Hornady rep. gave me the newest final crimp die. It is aluminum, straight walled inside, and works better than when machine was new.

The factory had told me to move the original die up 11 threads. (By the jamb nut)

This adjustment worked sometimes. but not like the aluminum die.

When machine wrinkles new AA's he told me they use only Remington figure-8 wads.

All of their advice has been solid, and I appreciate it very much.

Danny

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

The swing-out wad finger adjustment is critical, and tough to get right.

Yes, I also do not use much wad pressure, just enough to see the gauge indicator come off of rest.

I also have made a lubricator for the final stage. I bent a long piece of tubing at a 90 degree angle on the end, and attached a cloth swab that I coat with a light lube (not WD-40). I reach back there every 100 shells or so, and swab the inside of the die.

Don't know if it helps, but I will continue.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.