1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 powder slide problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have been using a Hornady 366 for a few months now and for the most part I am very pleased with it. However, one annoying problem is that the powder slide keeps moving to the shutoff position. I have called Hornady and they felt the powder rubber washer rmay need replacing so they sent a couple new ones which didn't help. I finally cut a small wood block to fit against the end of the powder slide and the frame of the loader and that holds it in place. Not the best solution but it works. This is a 20 gauge loader, using Unique powder.

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Bridger, there is a little spring type lock that you have to move to shut the powder off. I'm guessing you are missing that part. I don't believe you can shut the powder off without releasing that spring. Mike

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That was my first thought.

4. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Twotimer hit it on the head, either the powder shutoff spring is gone or just wore out, I had the same thing happen to me, sometimes u can just tweak that spring a little bit to make sure it is in the locking groove in the side of the slide.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

The spring is there but apparently not holding. I don't know what else it could be other than the spring but was curious if anyone else had run into this. I'll try and tweak it a bit and see if I can it to hold, otherwise I'll just order a new spring. Thanks.

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

The spring needs to be bent (at the mounting point where the screw holds it on) so that it creates more pressure to lock into the notch on the plate and it will work perfectly. Or order a new spring (about $3.00)

Its a simple adjustment as stated above.

SW

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

this is what it looks like...

it latches into the detent on the sliding bar..

8. leftex

leftex Active Member

I had the same problem once and the solution I found was to take a round file and make the notch on the slide a little deeper. The problem was cured. Wayne

9. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

I've had the same problem at one point. I narrowed it down to a few causes. When you change the bushings, the powder shut off plate goes inside the unit and has a "fitted recess" in that assembly. If you slap it together and slide the charge bar through, you may not be fitted properly and then it's a millimeter or so off and friction takes over and causes that charge bar to move the powder shut off plate.

Another issue I noticed was that the thumb screw on the side that tightens up your powder/shot assembly can loosen over time. If that does happen, see the first cause... Your powder shut off plate loosens up and gets out of it's alignment... especially if one shot pellet gets in there.

I've loaded many shells through this 366 since 1999 and this has happened once in the many years. Hopefully this helps.

One other thing. Make sure your charge bar cam is adjusted away from the powder shot assembly. It's the silver wing on the back. The two screws at the bottom will allow you to loosen it and pull it away in case it's putting pressure on and rubbing against the powde/shot assembly.

cheers

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is what the spring looks like. You may need to re-shape the notch in the slide to get it to hold properly.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

spring. I had a friend who had the same problem. New spring, no problem.

12. Bridger

Bridger Member

Thanks everyone. I have to say you guys have been a lot more helpful than Hornady in diagnosing this problem.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Hmmm...every time I call Hornady (not often, been fixing these things since 1979 so I know most of it by now) they have been uniformily helpful, friendly and more often than not, sent me the parts I needed for free.

And there's only a couple parts that it could have been...the O ring was a decent idea, they do go bad. But why not toss a slide spring in the envelope?

Suprised to hear this.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jim Skeel's photo says it all.

I have had this same problem and my solution was to shape the notch in the plate to better fit the loop in the spring and also I bend the spring a bit such that the loop is forced into the notch with more pressure.

Beyond that, I try not to close the shut-off plate. At the end of a loading session I just leave shells on the plate. If I'm going to switch components, I just pull the entire charging assembly off and dump the tubes & change bushings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can hornady 366 powder bushings go bad