1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 powder drop problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wheatgrower, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheatgrower

wheatgrower TS Member

I have a 366 that I put a hydralic unit on, everything works great except the powder drop is not consistant at all. Some shells have a full charge some have half some have none. I have the machine grounded and made sure the powder shutoff gate is open and does not move, I made sure there is nothing blocking the drop tube, could it be the baffle. I have the same problem with red dot and promo.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds like to me your charge bar may not be going thru its complete travel every time. I use a 366 but do not have a power unit. Did you have this problem before adding the hydraulic unit?

3. wheatgrower

wheatgrower TS Member

I had some problems before but not like this, the charge bar has to make complete cycles if the the machine go through a complete cycle??? thanks for the help

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per grntitan. Watch for full travel of the charge bar the spring in back can get hung-up and that will (can) cause what you are experiencing, I had that happen on mine and that's where I found my problem.--Ross Puls

5. grntitan

It wouldn't take much of a deviance in the charge bar travel length to make a big differnce. It drops the powder on mine at the very end of the upstroke. Maybe there is an adjustment of the hydraulic linkage that attaches to the loader that will give the machine just a hair more travel. That little amount could be big. Just a thought anyway.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The charge bar is operated by a cam plate in both directions. It is a very positive mechanism. No springs like a MEC.

The spring wire that holds the powder shut off plate in the on/off position can jump out of the notch in the plate and allow the plate to slide. I had to file the notch in the plate a little deeper in both of my 366's.

It is possible for a worn powder seal (rubber washer) to move and cause problems. You would not feel this with hydraulics. the powder seal washer could even be missing?

Jim Skeel

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

Wheatgrower,

Could you provide some information on your hydraulic system?

Thanks,
    Wayne

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

If its an older machine, the 'scissors' that lift the plate on the up stroke (LOL...I'm not that technical...you pull the handle that rotates the shaft. Between the shaft and the red metal plate area of the loader are two 'scissors' that raise the base on the upstroke)

Anyway...those are pinned in the middle. If its an older loader...that pin can round out, so there's some slop in there. that keeps the base from rising all the way, and since the bar is operated by sliding in a channel on a cam plate attached to the back, if the stroke isn't all the way to the top, you bar doesn't slide all the way.

Matt....Help me out here. He's more of an engineer than I'll ever be.

That, and check the rubber seals in the powder tower,as noted.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

On some models the piece that operates the tracking for the bar is Aluminum and it does wear. Could that be it?

Ajax

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

what skeeljc said.. its a hornady (pacific) press....

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Since you are confident the shut off gate is not moving, I would think you are having a rat holeing problem in the powder resevoir. I make my own powder baffle out of an aluminum beverage can. Cut a circular section out of the can wall that is a bit larger than the powder tube ID then fold the Al disc in half such that the natural radius of the can rolls downward, trim the sides to fit into the throat of the powder hopper and you are good to go. The installed baffle kind of looks like a tent over (but not blocking) the center drop chute. Simple fix but it works and is better than what Hornady offers for a powder baffle.

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

some shells have a full charge, some shells have half a charge and some shells have no charge? no shells have an over charge or a double charge? and what about the shot drops? are they consistent? how old is the powder? what part of the country are you in and what's the relative humidity in your reloading room? i'm thinking that i'd ditch the baffle and the powder and the automate and the grounding wire (by definition, you can't ground static) and try again with brand new powder and a stock machine. let us know what you get. good luck with it

13. grntitan

I will have to remember the spring issue you guys are talking about. I know exactly what you are describing. I have not had problems with that before but you never know what the next 5000 loaded shells might bring especially on an old Pacfic like I have. Thanks for the tip.

Might help if the OP would provide some more info or at least answer some of the questions posed.

14. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

All things considered, why not just box the thing up and send it off to Hornaday? I'm sure your problem is an easy fix. But, why not let the pros give it a once over and KNOW it is ready for your bench? You'll only be out the cost of sending it to them. Jim

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Static issue. Humidify the air in your reloading room and problem will be solved. Generally 35%-50% humidity works well.

ss

16. allenj

allenj TS Member

I had this problem once, turned out to be the bearing on the follower was bad.It still worked but it didn't allow the charge bar to travel all the way forward every time

17. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Jeff P might be on the right track. Same thing was occurring with my 366. Had loaded ~75,000 shells and it began intermittently giving me bloopers. Could not figure it our. During this time I purchased a second 366 to use for different loads. One night I really got to looking things over and noticed that the charge bar on the new machine was traveling further into the top housing that holds the power and shot. Discovered that I had nearly worn the linkage on the bottom that moves with the handle during the stroke of the machine. Called Hornady and ordered new steel linkage and roll pins. Installed and problem solved.

Tony J

18. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LMAO...linkage. Duh.

That's why I'm an accountant and not a machinest or an engineer.

It's them there scissor-y things on the bottom that make it go up and down. I know those are technical terms....

I can usually make a 366 work, but when it comes to things like this...I'm one HELL of an accountant.

Thanks, Tony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 powder drop issues

hornady 366 powder droping issues

hornady 366 powder issue

hornady 366shot loader keeps missing powder drops