1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 Operational Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GordonWood421, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

How many 366 devote's resize during a standard reloading cycle ? How many don't resize at all ?

Would it be too big a "change" for Hornady to incorporate the re-size operation into their Sta 1 ?

I have an Apex 3.? and a 366 ; the "stand-by" resizer for the 366 is much like a MEC 600 ; the Apex resizer is similar to RCBS Grand's .

Those seem simple . MEC's collet type seems like the best design -- as far as results are concerned - - but they seem to be the source of problems .

Did you select your press based upon its resizer or other feature(s) ?

Charlie

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

I don't use the ring resizer on a 366. If and when I think a hull really needs resizing, I do it right with a Mec collet type sizer. My past experience has been that the ring type sizers sometimes produce a too-large rim diameter that causes problems. I've had no such problems with the Apex, the Mec Grabber variants, or the PW.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've never had a problem with a ring sizer that my lathe and a few grinding stones didn't take care of.. I load on a 800+ now.. but had 30 years with a 366/266/155/150 Pacific/Hornady.. Great press.. but you got.. what you got.. Best resizer in the industry.. but slow..

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Use a 366. Never found a need to resize...

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

30+ years on a 366 now...I don't resize.

Perhaps if I've picked up a hull that's been stepped on, i'll run it through, just to get the plastic rounded out out again.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I may resize about 1 hull out of every 500 when reloading with my 366. I just seldom find that it's necessary.

Easystreet

7. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been using the 366 for 26 years and I have never re-sized as a normal procedure. I have never had a shell that jammed or would not chamber in my guns.
    Fred Wiedemann

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been using my 366 for 20+ years and every hull that goes thru it is resized . No reason not too as far as I`m concerned . Never had a problem either .

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve been using my 366 for 20+ years and every hull that goes thru it is resized . No reason not too as far as I`m concerned . Never had a problem either .

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have four MEC Sizemaster loaders. I size and de-prime all my hulls before loading them on either a Hornady 366 or a P/W 900. I shoot several autos in all four gauges and sizeing the shells on a MEC collet sizer produces a reload that almost always functions in an auto. Removing the spent primer makes the progressive loaders operate more smoothly.

Jim Skeel

11. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I resize every hull on my 366 as they can have been shot in 3 different guns. Resizing every hull is just a carry over from when I was active in IDPA and IPCS pistol shooting and you had to resize. Never had a problem with resizing.

....Paul

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Way too many in the safe not to resize. I've been loading on 366's for the last 10 years and I always use the resizing station. The hulls are very nice when done and fit all my guns, same guage of course.

I can reload about 300/hr on my 366's and that's good enough for me. I could reload a little faster with larger capacity tubes, but not worth the hassel.

ss

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

to clarify, I don't resize. I shoot them all in:

Mx3 special
    Mx15
    (2) Super x1's
    Browning superposed
    remington 11-87
    Beretta 391
    AYA Matador

Never an issue..

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Charlie: I never resize on my 366. (Too much trouble) I agree that they should engineer the loader to resize on the depriming station; as the MEC does. I have a MEC Supersizer. I can easily resize a box of shells in a minute. Small price to pay to be sure the shells fit in your gun. I had that problem once when I had a MEC 650. I didn't resize and had an embarrassing situation during an ATA shoot. I resize no matter what; even though the hulls are fired in the same gun. Been doing this for 5 years and never had a problem. Get a supersizer and feel confident. Ed

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

esoxhunter,

OMG! Too much trouble to use the resizer on a 366. Just exactly how lazy are you?

Since it is so much trouble to use the resizer, just how many times during a run do you bother to check your charge weights? I'll bet that I know the answer to this one.

There are some people that shouldn't be allowed to own a reloader!

ss

16. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

shortshucker: What prompted you to question my method of reloading and most important implying that maybe I shouldn't be allowed to reload? I have reloaded shotgun shells for approximately 50 years. I have 3 Hornady reloaders and 2 RCBS powder scales. I check my loads before each reloading session and document all of the shot and powder charges my bushings throw. I also customize my bushings to get my desired drop. I do not consider myself lazy. I consider myself smart enough to develop a more efficient and desirable loading process. (In my opinion anyway). If you feel it is more efficient and desirable to use the Hornady 366's separate station to resize; go for it. I just prefer to utilize the MEC supersizer instead. My perogative, correct? Now with the attitude that you so willingly brought forth to me and the assumption that "I am lazy"; I will make my assumption that you are a member in good standing with the SEIU and Acorn and quite probably voted for Obama 7 or 8 times. See we both can make assumptions. What really upsets me is the thread is about resizing. You have your way and I have mine. What in the hell has this got to do with laziness, weighing charges or being allowed ownership of a reloader?? Unbelievable. Have a good day. Ed

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

To be fair...I USED to resize every hull. Does slow you down a bit, but if you're using different guns, you should do it.

I shoot every game (all the trap games, skeet, mod skeet, and all the sporting games) with the same gun....so it's not an issue for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.