1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

366 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rrose, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

Would appreciate some help with a lightly used 366 loader I just pruchased from a TS.com poster. When a shell gets around to where the advance pawl is there is not enough clearance for the point to let the shell past and it pulls the shell plate backwards as it tries to go back around to the next station on the shell plate. The ony way to get it to go forward is to manually raise the point pawl to get it past the shell and manually pull the plate forward. I have adjusted the cam and that does not let the pawl come back enough to let the shell past. Overall the loader looks like it has been used very little but I can not figure this out and the trouble shooting part in the manual does not address this issue. thank you for any help you can provide.
    randy
  2. leftex

leftex Member

Check the pawl. Most likely the hook end of the pawl is bent slightly in the shape of a hook. You can straighten it carefully with a pair of needle nose pliers.
  3. postmastertim

postmastertim Member

The pawl is adjusted by the fixture attached to the base of the loader on the backside which cams the pawl when the loader is cycled. The fixture has a large screw and nut at it's top. That is the adjustment screw. Back it off and play with the adjustment, as it is a cam and controls the pawl moving the plate fore and aft by it's action.

The other adjustment you may need is if you are having a problem with the pawl engaging the shell plate to advance the plate. Back off the hex screw which holds the spring which controls the angle of the paw, this will increase lower the bite of the pawl. Backoff too much and the angle of the pawl will shorten so that it does not engage the plate.

from Mike Cross on ShotgunWorld
  4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

will it turn the plate w/o shells in it?
  5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Does the loader have the new style pawl or the old one?

If i remember right the old style pulled and the new one pushes.
    or maby its the other way. it has been a while since I used my old 366.

A previous poster gave you good advice.

ed.
  6. rrose

rrose TS Member

I have made the adjustment of the screww that adjusts the placement of the pawl assy but no matter where it is it does not let the pawl get past the shell. It works fine with no shell. I have tried to bend the pawl but that did not work so I will start over with a new pawl from Hornady. I did try to loosen the allen screw to see if the pawl then would come out enough to let the shell past but it did not. I am thinking that mybe the new pawl will fix it but if not i will take it off and forward it by hand. the serial number is BB 03726 so I am not sure if that is recent or older manufacture.
    thanks
    randy
  7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The first pic here is the new style which pushes the shell plate. The second pic is the old style which pulls the shell plate. I'm not sure the old part is still available. I still use the old style as it works fine for me. It seems like I asked Hornady about swapping to the new style and if I remember correctly, the tech said I would need more than just the new style advance paw.

New Style

grntitan_2009_2503276.jpg

Old Style

grntitan_2009_2503277.jpg

My guess from your posts is that you have the old style. It must have all the parts and be bent and adjusted just right to slip around the shell plate and catch properly. Also, the shell plate needs just the right tension on the center shaft nut to allow it to advance smoothly. I bought this Pacific 366 above as a basket case. It took many hours of adjusting and bending until I had it just right. On occasion I have to tighten the thumbscrew that holds the paw down but it usually works flawlessly as long as I do my part and run the machine at "366 Speed". Anybody who runs a Hornady/Pacific 366 for any length of time at all knows what "366 Speed" is. It can be a finicky machine but works great when you figure them out.
  8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Grntitan,the inside race on your top ring looks brite.did you grind on it? I had the same problem and removed a little metal off inside of the top ring and it worked great.just wondering if you did the same.

tracy
  9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

tracy,

You lost me. My machine actually looks nothing like it does in the above pic anymore. Without knowing exactly which piece you are describing, I can still answer most likely yes. I have polished and reworked just about every part on my machine. I'm one of those guys who can't leave well enough alone. I will say I notice improvement in just about everything I have done. They are great loaders but mine is well worn. I just hate to retire her as she still spits out great loads.
  10. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

wait till you see what i have done to mine.I will get in touch w/u as i will need your help making a dvd of mine.hope to come to sparta be 4 the grand.trying to get over to Wright's in the next week or 2.new barrel.no chokes. later

jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.