1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 gas assist .... comments?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'm trying to fine tune my 366 and get rid of some of the annoying quirks. Mine was old enough to have the bicycle grip handle. I changed that for a polished wood ball. I also added the spring-loaded primer seater and forever did away with the problem of mixed AA types and seating depth. I'm thinking now about adding the gas assist option in the never ending quest for more even powder and shot drops. What do you guys think? anyone did this and if so, did it help/hurt?

Toying with the idea of buying the primer shut-off too. Again, any suggestions? Right now I shut off the primers by inserting an inverted spent primer which surprisingly, works very well.

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I asked this same question about aprox. 6 weeks ago. The answers I got were that the gas assist was not worth it and was actually slower. Search old threads for more info.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

OBGB

I assume that you have automatic indexing? That is the single best improvement you can make. Also, the auto finished shell eject really speed up operation. Hornady can suppy both with the change of the bottom platen.

The gas "assist" does not assist anything. It retards (slows down) the rotation of the carousel so it is actually slower than without it. It also eliminates the "feel" for the carousel rotation which I find very undesireable. For example, if the primer does not drop onto the anvil properly, I can release the pressure on the handle, rotate the carousel backwards a hair and get the primer into place. I don't know how you would do this with the gas assist.

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I looked up the old posts. It seems that the only real need for a gas assist is or might be in the sub gauges such as 28 or 410. So, I'll pass.

My press was old but was auto indexing. I actually bought it off of a guy here about three years ago. Bought a Dl155 off of another fellow here a few weeks ago. Excellent deals both times.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

There are 2 kind of auto indexing. The "aftermarket" king allows you to install the parts to automatically rotate the shell plate yourself. The better version involves replacing the bottom platen which also gives you the auto finished shell eject. Hornady did this for a very low price. I have had both. However, when I got the auto shell eject, my loading speed really increased dramatically. I merely cut a hole in the bench top below the ejection chute and placed a bucket under the bench to catch the loaded shell.

You can also install a swing-out wad guide which further increases production. I can now load about 600 shells per hour without really rushing. The biggest slowdown is replenishing the shot, powder and primers.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

My 366 is a Hornady and was made sometime in the early 80s. It came with a fully auto-indexing platen, swign out wad guide and the auto shell ejector.

After watching a few guys with their machines and listening to some guys here, I mounted mine on blocks over a cookie sheet. I also cut a 3" hole through the sheet and the bench. I then mounted a piece of 3" black ABS pipe that angles down to a bucket I keep under the bench. That keeps shells out of the way.

Last night, I took the Dillon low primer warning unit and slightly dodified it to use on the 366. All I had to do was make a new plunger out of a wooden dowel and add a couple of pennies to the end for weight. Now all I do is load the primer tube about three quarters of the way and set the LPW on top. It will sound a warning when I'm down to 5 primers. I just lift off the unit, mount the primer tray, turn the know 40 turns and set the LPW back in place. It's very simple and prevents me from running low on primers.

What I'm looking at now is a clear plastic primer tube. With that, I could eliminate the LPW and just visually check the primer level. Why Hornady hasn't done this I don't know.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I bought the gas assist...got it hooked up, loaded 15 shells and sent it back.

I wouldn't spend any money on the primer shut off....when you're through loading shells (and I usually just load until I run out of the 100 primers I put in), just take the next primer out of the tube and put it back in the tube upside down. No further primers will come out...

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I would not waste money on gas assist... Here is the assist you need :)

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Sorry wrong pic posted b4

10. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

Purchased and installed the gas assist on my 366. Could not make it work.
    Gave up and bought a Spolar and a RCBS Grand. Took awhile to get the RCBS working well, great factory support. I now prefer to load on the RCBS. The Spolar is set up with one of the last automate's before being sold to MEC.
    It also works great, but it's a much more complex machine when things go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.