1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

366 Dished Crimps - Need Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bilm67, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

I am having a problem with dished crimps on my 366. I was using 17.5 grains of clays with a waa12sl wads and 1 oz of shot in an AA hull. I had the machine dialed in a was getting very nice looking crimps. I have changed this load over to 18.0 grains of red dot and I started getting dished crimps. I have lowered the wad seating pressure to the lowest it will go and I have tried deepening the crimp and tried backing off the crimp. When I deepened the crimp, they look better and I am only getting a dished crimp on about 1/3 of the shells. My next thought was to try to shorten the rod that seats the wads to try to lower the seating pressure even further, but this seems pretty extreme. Has anyone else seen this issue and had and success in getting better looking crimps?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

The crimp depth (from top of shell to the surface of the crimp) should be the same as the thickness of a dime. The pie segments should touch at the center.

Check you are actually getting the drops you expect (powder and shot). It is highly unlikely there is a wad height problem as the parts are molded.

The load you have should work fine.

Did you make any other adjustments except for changing the powder bushing when changing from Clays?

I will be interested to see what you find.

Don Verna

3. bilm67

bilm67 TS Member

I actually didn't change anything in the set-up. The same bushing that threw 17.4 grains of Clays was throwing 18.0 grains of red dot. I checked about a dozen throws and it was pretty consistent. I did back off the wad seating rod to lower the pressure. This seemed to eliminate a part of the dished crimps. (it lowered the number from 2/3 to 1/3). I will work on resetting the depth of the crimp to the thickness of a dime. Even the shells that have a dish is very small. The segments of the crimp do meet. The worst dished crimps have a hole in the center of the crimp that is smaller than a piece of 7 1/2 shot. Maybe I am being overly critical, but I loved the crimps that were coming out of this machine prior to the change.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

bilm

You are not being overly critical. The crimp should look like a factory crimp and it should be consistent.

To add to what RickN posted, the pre-crimp should be sufficient to yield a hole about the diameter of a pencil on the AA hull. Start there and go smaller if you need to.

Something has changed on your machine. Any kids around???

Using the same bushing means you have the same bulk of powder. That is not the problem.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

with waa12sl and 1oz i am getting dished crimps