1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

2 and a half inch Smith 686 What would you load for close up dandy's??

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

125 grain Golden Sabre factory or Corbons 125 jhp. Some might prefer a heavier bullet at a reduced velocity. I've seen the effects of a 125 grain pill out of a snubby and will tell you they work pretty well. 135 to 150 grain at full velocity is another choice. If using a 6" barreled gun, I might have a different choice, but for the snubbies, I have my preferences.

3. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

JIM Give Corbon ammunition a call They have round out called POWER BALL and they also have another round out called GLASER safety slug looks like the powerball . Go to the corbon web site and check it out or call 1-800 626 7266 and try it you gonna love'em the best ammo made in my opinion. PK

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you want the load for self defence you HAVE TO USE FACTORY AMMO. If you use reloads and you shoot someone the courts will say you planned it out. For all legal reasons and to keep the courts from jumping on you over ammo use factory ammo.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Auctioneer has this one pegged. Never carry non-factory ammo for personal protection.

If you want to load up some practice ammo that simulates your carry ammo,That's fine. Just make sure to keep it seperated from your factory carry ammo.

ss

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I call b.s. on this notion to use only factory ammo for self defense....the courts will pounce on you anyway, whether you use factory ammo or not.

you can reload 357 ammo to the same exact specs, with the same exact components, as factory ammo. How is some lawyer going to know if it was reloaded ammo? 357 kills, no matter what components you use.

Is there a specific law that states you must use only factory sealed ammo for self defense?

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Judging by the recoil of a "fullhouse" .357 magnum, whatever load you choose should be the lightest bullet, if you're planning on getting off a second shot. The last time I tried a .357, it was in one of the new scandium framed guns. That thing made my palm feel like 110 volts was coming through. I only shot it twice, then offered the remainder to anyone around. There were no takers. Good luck.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if you got a 357, box of factory ammo, any will suffice at that range. Muzzle blast with out a slug will kill if pressed into contact.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There's a book called, "In the gravest Extreme" that ought to be required reading for anyone carrying a pistol/firearm for self defence. Some of legal points are probably getting a little dated these days, but the basics are still the same.

It explains a lot of how things are interpreted in a court of law. Do yourself a favor and give it a read. The link is to the book on Amazon.

ss

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

SS, how about a quick summary for now? thanks

11. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a bunch of 158 grain XTP's how would you load 'em??

12. Auctioneer

sernv99, Do you really wish to find out if it is BS or not? I hope you just ask a friend that is a lawyer and put the question to him.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Auctioneer:

yes I wish to find out...so I am going to have some 10mm reloaded with the same exact components and specs as factory ammo...and I'll load one magazine with it as my go to home defense magazine.

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Auctioneer, plenty of lawyers have weighed in on this. It's BS. You better hope you never have to shoot anyone, period. The ammo you use won't matter. You shoot to eliminate a threat, and the ammo that gives you the confidence that you can do that is what you should shoot. If you don't have a damn good reason to shoot, factory ammo won't keep you out of jail and/or the poor house.

Internet legends make great reading, though.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Generally, the lighter the bullet, the less recoil there is, helping to decrease recovery time for the next shot. With this in mind I would use a good quality 125 grainer.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-125-gr-XTP/ The Horaday XTP bullets are well designed. They blast through car doors and windshields, yet remain intact, unlike other bullets that fragment. They expand well in flesh. I've used the 10mm XTP quite a bit. CorBon used to use XTP bullets in some of their ammo, wouldn't surprise me if they still do.

http://www.hornady.com/store/357-Mag-125-gr-Critical-Defense/ I have not tried this load. But what caught my eye is the reduced flash. I've used their .223 TAP ammo with reduced flash powder, and the flash was reduced quite a bit over standard 223 ammo. This might be a load to check out if you are packing at night.

16. Auctioneer

This info that I gave out here was told to me years before internet and by lawyers. You all can use what ever you want and I will use what I want.

17. Auctioneer

Most of you all know what a wad cutter is. Take a wad cutter that has a hollow base and turn it around so you now have the hollow base pointing out of the case. Take that round and shoot a gal water jug and see what happens.

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

how about instead of using factory ammo in a 357 for self defense, I go out and buy a S&W500 revolver and use factory ammo for self defense...see what happens o the water jug.....

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

The "No Reloads for Self Defense" movement was started up by Massad Ayoob in his books. He claims it's easier for a prosecutor to paint you as a "gun nut" if you cook up your own loads.

I figure if a prosecutor's going after you to begin with, and the jury contains people who believe guns are icky and defending yourself is wrong, you're probably up shit creek, anyway.

But - I do use factory loads in my defense guns because my economical "practice" SWCs would go through every wall in my house and probably put a dent in the bricks, to boot.

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

125 gr. Golddots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.