1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

357 super mag

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by algebra1, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algebra1

algebra1 Member

Anyone have any info on the 357 super mag.?Reloading info would be helpful.
    Thanks Steve

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Get sierra hornady reloading manual. Either book is worth the money.

3. setter

setter Member

Try this!

Edit - I believe it uses small rifle primers.

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what info you are looking for. Also called the .357 maximum. I have a Thompson Contender and love the caliber. Used to be available in a Ruger revolver, but no more. Couldn't stand up to the pressures.I'm assuming you have a Contender and want to try the cartridge. Get yourself the Thompson Contender reloading manual. Has every caliber available for the Contender, loaded up to Contender specs. Throw other load data away when loading for a Contender. Totally different world.The poster who said use small rifle primers was correct. H110 or Winchester 296 are my preffered powders. I just worked up a new load last night. Hoping to crono today if the weather cooperates. Check this out, my new hunting load. 125gr Hornaday XTP, hoping for about 2200fps. Previously loadad 160 and 180 grain bullets about 1700 to 1800fps. When I found out I could push a handgun round plus 2000fps I was motivated to say the least. I'm on here all the time, any other questions, fire away.Good luck.
    Steve

5. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I bought a Dan Wesson .It was in Gander Mountain and I bought it for $335.I thought it was a good deal(like new).I thank you all for the info,you can't beat this site for shooter info.
    Steve

6. setter

setter Member

FWIW, there is a .357 SuperMag and a .357 Maximun, with the SuperMag case slightly longer.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Setter, that's the beautiful thing about a T/C Contender. Case length don't mean shit. Pack her full of powder and go blast away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.