1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

357 Rossi rifle info please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snapthecat, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Anyone have first hand info on this rifle, would appreciate knowing.

2. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

What do you want to know? Be specific if you can.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

It's a rifle. It shoots .357 cartridges. It's made by Rossi. :)

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you're referring to the model 92 clones, well, they ain't no Winchester, but for what they are they're pretty decent. The mainspring is not a leaf like the originals. It's a coil spring, at least it was on the one I had. Rossi has been making these for a long time, mainly in 44-40 since that's the most popular cartridge for this gun in Central and South America. 38 Specials can also be shot in this gun. Once in a while someone will get one that cycles 38 or 357, but not both. The link goes to a 2007 write-up. Circa that time period the carbines had the front sight integral with the barrel band, a screwy setup. I don't know if that's changed now or not. Also the rifles have straight barrels. The original Winchester 1892 round and octagon barrels were tapered. Rossi makes the 92 in stainless. Good for bad weather, but also for blackpowder. Since you'd wanting 357 the latter is a moot point.

Winchester/USRA makes various 1892 models, some in 357 Magnum. Spendy, but a much nicer gun than the Rossi.

5. tulsey

tulsey Member

Rossi has made the same basic Win 92 design rifle for several years and in addition to ones marketed under the Rossi name there have been many sold under other names. Other companies requested differences so the wood, barrel length and type along with finsh can vary.

I had a pre-safety 38-357 Rossi that was chunky in action but fed everything just fine. I had a slicked up .44 Magnum that would sometimes eject the spent brass and the next live one at the same time. I had a .45 Colt half-round/half oct barrel, now adopted by my brother-in-law, that works better than most almost any lever action.

If I were buying a .357 Rossi, I would ask the seller to let me shoot it or run some dummy ammuntion through it of the length of the ammo I intended to use.

The length issue is not just the Rossi, the lever action Marlin's, Browning and others including the 66 and 73 copies can have cartridge length problems

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Watch the TV show "Cowboys" and the experienced shooters there use mainly Model 1873 replicas and they sure look beautiful and smooth. They add short stroke kits and other add ons but Man are they ever great looking.My gunshop has sold a lot of Rossi's and they say it is rare to have one come back with a problem.Anymore you take your chances when you buy anything I think.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have one in 38sp/357 that I bought back in the late 70's. More than one white tail has fallen in front of it. However, mine has never cycled the 357 ammo reliably. Now, I just use the 38sp+P and it works like a charm.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

My neighbor's daughter has one (Puma SRC) in 357, nicely made for the money.

She broke the firing pin and asked if I can fix it, knowing it's a clone of J.M. Browning's design (LOTS of parts), and it's a pain to put it back, I send her off to a gunsmith, $50 labor plus the parts later, it's back in action.

But the gunsmith wouldn't take my advise to use a larger firing pin and drill the firing pin hole to fit it in, that original Rossi firing pin will most likely be broken again if she keeps shooting it. Well, that's one of the major problems of the rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.