1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.357 Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a new or like new .357 revolver (I prefer SS and 4" barrel). In the past I've owned a Smith 686 and a Ruger Security Six but like the dummy I am traded them for something else I had to have. What are your opinions of the GP 100 and some of the Taurus pistols? Thanks in advance, Randy Price

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

GP100 is built like a tank, you can't go wrong with one.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I like my S+W 19,66,27. I will also say the Ruger Security Six is also a great choice. I also have one in either 2 1/2" or 3" barrel. Any of those would be good

Stay away from the Taurus pistols. Resale they suck big time. They are cheaply made also.

How much is your life worth is another way to look at thing. My life i worth alot. That is why I carry either a S+W, Walther, Colt pistols depending on the time of year and what I'm doing. If your life is not worth much then go ahead and buy a cheap gun.

4. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Buy anything S&W....

5. FIB

FIB Member

I agree with the Smith 686 and Ruger Security Six comments. I've never owned the GP 100 how does it compare to the Security Six or the 686?

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Buy Smith & Wesson. Can't go wrong with any of their models. I have a S&W model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel that I like very much.

Allen

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Find an older Smith made in the 60's-70's. Blue or stainless,Model 19 if you want a smaller frame,Model28 or 27 for heavy loads. Get the Jerry Miculik grips from Brownells. These are by far the best,most comfortable fast shooting grips made.

8. sliverbulletexpress

Problem with the Security Six is that it is obsolete and no parts available. GP100 is a much improved version.

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I bought a 4" 686 20+ yrs ago and slill have it. There's no crime in you're going back for another; as the 686 is as good as they get, y'know.

best...mike

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The security six is much sleeker and less bulky than the other two.

I would find a used one if you want to maintain that same feel.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The GP100 Ruger is a good solid design, sized like a 686 Smith (even uses the same speed loaders) The Ruger is an all coil spring trigger design and is easy to tune the trigger with a drop in spring kit. I bought one of the first ones in 6 inch out of the display case and entered a 6 week bullseye league having never shot it. They let me take 5 shots to zero the sights, I still have the plaque I won with that bone stock pistol. I sold it, went to school and later bought another just like it because I missed it. The 2nd GP100 six inch shoots as good as the first one. I also own a 4 inch model 66 smith with a gunsmith trigger job. As far as I am concerned, they are equal in quality and accuracy, with the Ruger having slightly better sights. The Ruger came with the rubber grip, and I had to add a rubber grip to the Smith. Grip them both, buy the one that feels right to you. You will have no regrets either way.

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

You might not be able to find parts for a security six but then I have never seen one that needed any parts. The GP 100 is much the same. I prefer the trigger on a S&W but the Ruger is not all that bad. I don't like Colt Pythons. They are too finicky and delicate for my tastes. On the other hand I have never had any problem with a Taurus. I think they are a decent gun for the price. I own 4 Taurus autos from .380 to .45 and they all do a good job.

13. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Carried 357s for several years. The nicest all around shooting gun was the 4" S&W 66 with Hogue Grips. With the prices today I'd go for a GP100. Had a Security Six that was built far more HD than the Smith but the Smith had a better double action being milled vs investment casting. The GP actions are pretty darn decent these days. One or the other. 686 actions stunk vs the K frames. Colts: actions went out of time too easily.

Good luck.

14. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for all the comments. Please keep them coming as I'm learning quite a bit about the two guns that I didn't know. Regards, Randy Price

15. sliverbulletexpress

Anyone ever hear of a Police Department that issued Taurus revolvers? Or even allowed them on duty?

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I owned a 4" SS GP-100. It was a great gun. I needed some money and sold it. The only complaint I had was the heavy trigger pull, but that's easily fixed. If I buy another revolver, that is at the top of my list.

17. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Personal experience is that Smiths seem to have better triggers out of the box than Ruger's do. I would find yourself another 686 and consider selling your old one a lesson learned!

JK

18. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I've owned a Sec six, GP100, & S&W 19. The S&W is more accurate and nicer to look at. The security six while discontinued, can be repaired @ the factory. Mine is a first year production that had parts much different inside than what my gunsmith had. I had lent it to my brother who made some smokin hot loads. When I fired one the gun spun up out of my grip. After that it wouldn't index properly. The cylinder strut had bent. So I sent it to Ruger and it came back with all new internals, reblued, and the grips refinished. All at no cost and its still pounding away. The GP100 I didn't like. Just never felt right in my hand while shooting.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Nothing top's a S&W revolver. Ruger's and Taurus do not
    have the resale of a S&W. When revolvers ruled the police
    market, S&W had 90% market share. Pull the trigger out of
    a Ruger revolver and look inside. It looks like it was milled
    with a corn cob. I'm not saying there not stout because they
    are. But there not in the same league with S&W.

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Sliverbullerexpress, if that was true there would be alot of guns on the junk pile. Parts are available.

Factory trigger are now the way they are to keep the co lawyers happy from law suits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.