1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.356 diameter bullets in a .357 gun......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ks5shooter, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Ok this is for the experts in handgunloading.Got hold of .356 diameter lead bullets.I only have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357.Can these be loaded and work properly in the Ruger even thoughj the are one thousanth smaller?thanks Don

2. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

You didn't mention the weight of the bullets but as far as diameter goes the .356 is a 9mm bullet by diameter. However, I have on many occasions used my 9mm bullets in my .38/.357 revolvers. I just don't try to push them too hot for accuracy purposes. I keep on the light side. Colonel

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

They will work ok, accuracy won't be quite as good as with 357 bullets but it will do no harm.

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

They are 125 grain
    Thanks .....Don

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

FYI....try Accuratereloading.com.

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

When shooting lead bullets, you want them a little larger than groove diameter in order that they will shoot well with little leading problems.

You can shoot these .356 diameter bullets, but they won't shoot well and there will probably be leading problems.

As a rule, the place to start with lead bullets is to measure the throats of the cylinger of the gun and buy bullets of that diameter....usually the throats are a thousandth or two larger than groove diameter of the barrel.

The guys on the following forum are quite helpful if you have questions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I hate to disagree with anyone on bullet size but those .356 bullets might work very well. One of my most accurate loads in an old six inch security six was a .356 diameter, Lyman 358156 gas check over 13.5 grains of 2400 in .357 hulls. Shot better than any other load in that gun and no leading. Again, your results may differ. Try 'em out and see what they do. If you get leading after shooting a few, fire a couple jacketed bullets and try another load. I learned long ago that every gun is a law unto itself and what may work in one may not work in another.

I did find that, in general, TC Contender barrels in .357 are really slick and about impossible to lead.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use them all the time, also use jacketed 9mm bullets, work just fine with 2.7 grains of bullseye. No recoil and very accurate. HMB

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A very astute observation on your part. HMB

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

.356 diameter bullets are fot 38 Super, 38 Super Comp, etc (semi-auto). They will work in a 38/357 but will probably not be very accurate.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I used to have a ruger .357 single action, that came with a 9mm cylinder, shot fine.

I think it was called a .357 convertable, bought it in 1980 I think.

tony

12. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

I micrometer them out they are .356.....Don

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

will work fine if you dont load heavy. They do real good in the 38 mil brass. AS said around 3gr bulleye or near there with what you are using

14. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Another thought about keeping leading down in the barrel is to keep the speed of the load under 1000fps. Gas checks will help also.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

15. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Accuracy will probably depend more on the barrel than anything. We have a BH here with a 9mm cylinder made around 1981-82 and when 9mm ammo is fired in it, the bullets just barely engage the rifling and occasionally they only show markings on part of the bullet. It might depend on who made the barrel and what method was used. Hammer forged will usually be more consistent in size but the button or mandrel rifled might have some variances as the tool wears down. Either way, I'd think the .356" bullets will work better than a true .355" bullet.
    I've checked Rem and Win 130 FMJ .38 Spl. rounds and the bullets are the same ones used in the .38 super that measure .356".
    Since the bullet is a bit undersize, when you seat the bullet make sure the case has just enough crimp to hold the bullet so they don't slide out during recoil. Might depend on how much the sizer die resizes the brass too as to how much, if any, crimp would be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting a 356 bullet out of a 357

using 356 size bullets in a 357