1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

350 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Red1, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red1

Red1 TS Member

M name is red & i have a f350 6.0 diesel,an its a lemon .Ford agreed to buy it back &now iam looking at a F350 6.4 dully truck. I would like to know if iam going wrong.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The problem is the government made strict emission standards for light duty trucks. There's more emission crap then ever on all 3 Mfg. and you have as many as 3 controllers on some of these trucks. I agree that the V10 with 362 HP and 457 FT. of torque would be a bullet proof combo in a DRW truck.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

If ya get a V-10 you are gonna need an auxiliary fuel tank, Those things get worse fuel mileage than my 454.

4. M-16

M-16 TS Member

The problems I'm hearing from the new 6.4's is they lose power when going into reburn of the particuit filter. Some who pull heavey 15k say they really slow down on a hill if it happens their. Some say they hardly notice it, but this is a problem with all of the 07 & newer trucks. The 6.0 are not a bad engine some of the first hadcomputer control issuies, but the bigest problem is the EGR pluging and burning up. Two ways around it run clean fuel with additives and run it hard now and then to clean it or which is a lot of work but is the best is cap it off. Also the 6.0 shouldn't be turned up above 100hp or run alot above 60hp. Most tunners do not burn efficiently when turned up and this adds to the EGR pluging problems. Going above 100hp head bolt issuies arise good head bolts are $700+ + not installed. If you don't drive a lot pulling then gas is cheaper. Just the money spent on the diesel takes a lot of gas to pay for it. Also as your awear filters oil are a lot more for the desiel. I love my desiel late 06/called 07 but when it's on the road it's pulling 15700# and I hate getting pasted muych and I don't very much

5. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Supplaments help from pluginging the EGR tube assem, but don't clean it. running it hot to burn it out and water injection/ steam it out. If your motor isn't turned up then there isn't much of a problem. Long hills with it turned up burning excess fuel/not efficently will plug it. Seeing how much black smoke you can roll out the pipe is bad news for the 6.0 egr pipe assem

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Find a good used 7.3 DIT. Pocket the difference to keep it fueled and running.

7. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Red 1,

I don`t know how long you can wait to buy, but a Ford rep told me that Ford is working on a new 6.8 Raptor diesel engine.

He didn`t know the date this engine would be available.

The source was a Ford factory employee.

Anyone else heard this story?

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

You sure it's not the Scorpion 6.7? http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I happen to own botha V-10 and a 454....the 454 is the thirstier of the two and is in a truck thats a ton lighter in curb weight

10. wanderer

wanderer Member

Re: the Freightliner M2.

Had a Motor Home with this chassis and a Mercedes Benz engine. It was in the shop more than on the road, as engineers couldn't make it run with the post 06 particulate filter. Got rid of it and got a Freightliner with a 330 Cummins engine. Have had to be towed in twice now, plus spending days waiting for repairs. This unit has had two new particulate filters replaced, under warranty, but still not able to do a stationary regen, so engine derates then dies and then comes the tow truck. All post 06 diesels are a POS due to govt regs about emissions. Now Cat engines can't be used in MH's or other light duty trucks as can't meet emissions requirements. With more restrictions coming in 2010 looks like diesels are all going to be a POS in the future. Gary E. Gasaway.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I don't know what the standards are in europe but I understand since last year more then 50% of new vehicles being produced were diesel powered. Is VW back selling diesels in the US?

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rumours are that Ford will have a new Ford Designed V-8 Diesel within a few years. It's been in the works for awhile, since they have had more issues with the Navistar engines. The 6.0 was a disaster on warranty and the 6.4 seems to be underpowered. There is a new six speed automatic coming down the pike as well. Hopefully it will be released along with the new engine. They have said it is planned for model year 2011, but I'd give it a model year to get the kinks worked out. If they release in 2011, look for a 2012 or later. Preliminary information looks good. Like I said before, look for a good used 7.3 DIT and hold on for a later new vehicle purchase. I've heard that the fuel economy will be superior to what they have already achieved with the newer diesels. Most probably a good part because of the new transmission.

13. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Check out Diesel Power Magazine for info and tested applications for the big three Diesels. Most of the time you will find the Ford is finishing 3rd in most the test. With the Duramax 1st and the Cummins 2nd. The September 09 issue list some upgrades for the 6.0 Power Stroke and some of the earlyer 09 issue covered the newer 6.4 Power Strokes. I ran a Ford Power stroke for about 8 years then switched the Dodge with a Cummins for going on 7 years, but my next truck will be the Chevy with the Duramax/Allison combo. I am finished with the trouble of the Fords and the poor quailty of the Dodge. Just my 2cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.