1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

35 WCF

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need some help guys! A friend of mine is thinking about buying a Marlin lever action rifle that is in, I assume, .35 WCF caliber?! He also is supposed to get me the model number of the gun! Either way, he says it is 35 caliber! If so, where is best place for quality ammo? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Surely someone knows what the proper caliber is and where to get ammo?! Tom Rhoads

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

It sounds like the Marlin lever action 336 in .35 Remington to me.
    This is NOT the same cartridge as the .35 Winchester.
    Marlin did not make it in a 35 WCF.
    Its one heck of a woods gun though, nice knock down power also. I had one that I used for 20 yrs when I lived up in N Ca.
    I have seen ammo in gun shops here & there, & mom & pop shops. I used to reload for it myself. Not a caliber that everyone keeps in stock.
    Id buy another for the right price again also..

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

From my information WCF stands for Winchester Center Fire. The 35 Remington is NOT the same. Do a Google search on the web and see the results. Good Luck

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Walmart will definitely not hae ammo for this puppy.

HM

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the gun is in the low 3 figures, it is a 35 Remington. If the gun is over $1000, it may be a 35 WCF.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

should be stamped 35Rem. I dont find a list for a 35 wcf that Marlin made. But that far back records were not good.It would not be a 336 would be a 95. rick

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

here is an old 336 in 35 Rem on gunbrokers 116528522

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    35 WCF is too long for the Marlin 336 action. It was chambered in the Winchester 1895 lever action and 1885 single shot.<br>
    <br>
    The 35 Winchester has about a 270 to 300 fps advantage over the 35 Remington with 200 grain bullets (approx 2480 fps vs 2210 for most loads).<br>
    <br>
    The 35 Winchester has more power than the 33 Winchester, but is behind the 348 Winchester or 358 Winchester. The 35 Winchester was originally a blackpowder cartridge. It was last chambered in 1936 in the Win Model 95 (1895).<br>
    <br>
    The 35 Remington was the most powerful of the Remington pump cartridges. These were the 25 Remington (a rimless version of the 25-35 Winchester) and the 30 Remington (the rimless version of the 30-30). The 35 Remington differed from these not only in bullet diameter, but the case was larger in diameter, giving it more potential than the others. Because of the larger case, it is more powerful than the 30-30 even with the same bullet weights. The trajectories between the 30-30 and the 35 Rem are very similar, and neither has an advantage over the other in this respect. With typical factory bullet weights, all loadings are within each others trajectory envelope.<br>
    <br>
    Remington chambered the 35 Rem in the Model 14 and 141 pumps rifles, and the Model 8 semi-auto. Marlin later chambered it in their Model 336 lever gun, and Mossberg chambered it in their Model 479 (a near clone of the 336). Savage also chambered a pump in it, the Model 170. Several pistols have been chambered in it as well.<br>
    <br>
    The 35 Remington was more popular in the east than the west. At one time it was considered a moose cartridge, but by today's standards it's underpowered for that. Those out west preferred the 30-30 and the 35 Rem is not common at all here, even though it's a bit better killer.<br>
    <br>
    One nice thing about the 35 Remington is that is can be hand loaded with 357 Magnum bullets, giving a wide variety of bullet weights and choices. 357 bullets for the most part are too thinly jacketed for max loads, though, and come apart easily when they strike. This is of use for small varmints and coyotes, though this is not a long range varmint cartridge.<br>
    <br>
    My grandfather had a Marlin 336A (rifle not carbine) in 35 Rem that he bought in the 1950's. A box of shells lasted him a decade. He'd make one shot to confirm the sights were on, then one shot for his deer. He was upset on year when it took him two shots to drop a deer. And iron sights. He never liked scopes. Unfortunately my uncle sold the rifle. I would have liked to have had it in my collection, and I would like to have used it for deer hunting.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If its 35 Rem ...which I'm sure it most likely is...the Walmart as well as mail order plaes like Natchez ans Graf n Sons all have tons of ammo for it...The Hornady Leverevolution 200gr spitzer load with the soft tip is awesome shooting both accuracy wise and also for power in the Marlins and is one of my personal favorites to shoot

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

The .35 Winchester was NOT originally or EVER a black powder cartridge. It came out in 1903 for the Model 1895 Winchester. It was only loaded with smokeless powder, and it's standard load was a 250 gr bullet at 2200 fps.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

35 wcf

35 wcf ammo

35 wcf ammo for sale

35 wcf vs 35 rem
35 winchester article
best powder for the 1895 35wcf with 200 grain bullets
googleshooters forem 25 20 wcf
winchester 1895 35 wcf